Author Topic: osage logs  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Re: osage logs
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »
I think I'll be building myself a "Froe" this weekend.  I looked one up on Wikipedia and that looks like a VERY KUUL TOOL!  The old lawn mower blade idea sounds awesome.

BTW - I had a 'fro' in college many years ago, but it wasn't the same thing...  :)

Offline IDreamofOsage

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 11:19:41 pm »
@ Onebowonder, I think I will try to make one before I come off any hard earned money to buy one. I never had a Fro but I grew up in the 80's during the big hair era. I had hair sticking up everywhere and it hang nearly to my waist. LOL

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »
I absolutely hate to split osage green.  The wedges pop out on me all the time.  I've spent 10 minutes just getting a split to start in one end.  Once seasoned it splits beautifully.  I tend to split logs in half green, then a few months later I go for staves.  I suspect the dry conditions down here and tight rings are part of my problem.  Those are very nice looking staves Deamy.  That wood did have a lot of sap in it...sticky stuff.  Should make some fine bows.  :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 12:28:19 am »
"The wedges pop out on me all the time."

You know what works better than wedges is railroad spikes. They might not be as big, but they seem to get stuck in there and you can pound em down without worrying about them popping out on ya. I hate when they pop out, they always seem to go straight for my knees every time. lol  A good thing about them too is that you can get the split going on one side, leave the spikes in and turn the log over and put one in the other side without the wedge (or railroad spike) sticking out. I have to use a hatchet to keep opening up the split though. I open the split up a bit with the hatchet, then pound a railroad spike in next to the newly opening up split, and then repeat. Using only railroad spikes would go really slow without using the hatchet, which actually makes it go pretty fast.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair