Author Topic: Linen backed sassafras questions  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Adam

Linen backed sassafras questions
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:34 pm »
Hello everyone,
I'm relatively new to making bows, and I have only made selfbows to this point and haven't made any with a backing.  I have a sassafras stave that was given to me and I was thinking of backing it since I've been told it's a marginal wood for durability.  I was planning on using linen since I think sinew would tend to be over-powered for the compression strength of sassafras.  Is this correct?  Also, if I proceed with linen, do I just go to a fabric store and ask for linen or is there more than one type available?  When I glue it on, is Tite Bond II sufficient?  I really appreciate all the experienced people here who share their knowledge and help us newbies avoid a few mistakes!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Linen backed sassafras questions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:47:09 am »
When you go to the fabric store check labels makes sure its 100% linen. And titebond will work just fine.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:05:06 am »
I would say it should work fine,never made a sassafras myself but have a friend
that makes a lot of them,he backs them with a thin rawhide and that work good for him so I would think Linen should be fine. Looking forward to seeing it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:56 am »
Hey Adam.  I ordered a couple of yards of 7 oz. linen canvas on line and got it shipped to the house.  I have backed several bows with it and am really impressed with it's ability to hold a bow together.  One yard would have been plenty, though.  I think Hobby Lobby or several other suppliers will sell it on line.  I did buy some at a fabric store one time as well.  I have used Tite Bond 3 and had no problems.  It seems to dry clear and the color of the fabric won't be impaired if you saturate it and sort of "squeegie" it down smooth with your fingers....  Once dry,  you can sand of the edges in a nice neat line.   I am still sort of new at this stuff myself, but I think wider is better when you are working with some of the "other" woods...   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:53 am »
  ALL YES'S
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:58:53 am »
Thanks very much for all the input.  I would have never believed that I'd willingly go to the fabric/craft store with my wife!  This hobby makes us do strange things!  :laugh:

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:17 pm »
    I've found myself in a fabric store several times since I started this madness. Linen, buttons, thin stretchy cord, etc. etc.  They even keep track of what I buy and last time I was there I got a discount based on how much I'd bought previously. The lady's into lots of different crafts herself and is really helpfull with things like leatherwork even though she doesn't carry them.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »
Thanks very much for all the input.  I would have never believed that I'd willingly go to the fabric/craft store with my wife!  This hobby makes us do strange things!  :laugh:

I just bought steer hoof dog chews for nock overlays......worked good.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 10:27:05 am »
Once again, thanks for all the help.  After looking at some more bows on this site, I started thinking about trying to steam a little reflex into this stave.  Does sassafras respond well to this?