Author Topic: Badger Fight  (Read 11723 times)

Offline Adam

Re: Badger Fight
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »
Thanks for the great story!  I'm really sorry that you lost your job over it though.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:17 pm »
I've heard of guys dumb enough to bring a knife to a gunfight.  But sir, you and only you would bring a knife to a badger fight.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 11:54:10 pm »
I've heard of guys dumb enough to bring a knife to a gunfight.  But sir, you and only you would bring a knife to a badger fight.
almost as bad as bringing a gun to a warbow fight ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:32 pm »
Thanks to all those that tuned in for the story. 

To all who expressed interest in the video, please send a check for 14.99 to…just kidding, I wish there was a video too.   

Shawn, Earnest Goes to Camp!, what a classic.  I must have watched it a hundred times as a kid , but I don’t remember the badger family part. 

Jimjimmysticks, this is really going on.  And btw, your name congers up a similar funny feeling in me.    :embarassed: Embarrass face back at ya.

Badger, well I hope you are happy! The badger won.  I have seen that video of the guys catching a badger with a blanket and dog crate, also in idaho.  Watching that will give you an idea of what it was like, except I had a knife instead of a blanket, and of course the badger in that video is much smaller, and has the look of an old grey mare to me. 

John, your uncle sounds like a real character, not surprising given his relations.  I too tried snaring badgers when I was a kid.  My dad would take us “camping” (mule deer scouting) in the Trout Creek mts, of SE Oregon.  I was always after those badgers.
And thanks for the nickname. My wife thought that was really funny. 

Wolverine!?! No way!  You guys are nuts!   Black bear is next.  Spring season just opened and I am heading out this weekend.  One of Chet Stevenson's hunting partners actually took a black bear with a hunting knife.  Great story. 

Cracker, I did not get to keep my job.  At first things seemed cool.  The operations manager in our Portland office was understanding enough.  But while all seemed cool, the thing was snow-balling up the corporate memo ladder on both the Ridgeline Energy and the Tetra Tech sides.  By day three, Ridgeline was calling from France demanding my head.  Tetra Tech offered it up, of course. My boss was doing all he could to keep me, but the call was coming from way up.

Adam, thanks, losing my job was not ideal, but it could not have come at a better time.  I had just got my wife on with the company earlier that week, just as a temp doing data entry.  She is still there and is getting brought on as a permanent, as a wetland survey coordinator.  She had been a stay at home mom for 3 years, while I worked.  We essentially, traded roles.  I have been a full-time stay at home dad up until a month ago we decided to get the kids in day care three days a week, and see if I can generate some income with my archery interests. 

It took me so long to write the thing because writing these stories doesn’t pay for daycare!  Or maybe it could?  Any publishers out there?  I got lots more of these tales. 

Thanks again y’all for joining in.  Be sure to tune in next time! 

Your host, Carson Mclean Brown
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:09:05 am by CMB »
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 04:37:49 pm »
Loved the Story Mr. Brown.

I too wish you hadn't lost you job over it.
There's no accounting for Corporate Thought once you climb up in the rarefied air near the top.
Good to see that your sense of humor is fully intact.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline cracker

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »
Sorry to hear that you did not keep you're job. Most of the corporate types panic at the first hint of controversy. Best wishes Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 07:11:45 pm »
CMB you lost his job over the badger incident?  On what grounds? How?? Seriously???

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 07:13:30 pm »
This one time, at badger camp...
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline SA

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 07:40:34 pm »
Shawn Acker

Offline Traxx

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »
JWH,qouted CM Russle as statein,

swinging a perty wide loop with this here yarn.

Well,this brings to mind,a little story bout a Wild young Buckaroo,who like all them type,thinks they gotta rope anythin that moves.
This kid thinks he has to rope a Badger that is slinkin across a sage flat.He sticks it on him and doesnt get his slack pulled quick enough to catch the head n the Badger runs through the loop n gets caught pantyhose like.The kid dont think the critter is big enough to warrant any Dallies,and dang near gets jerked off his horse.He pitches a few coils and goes to the horn,but Mr Badger has allready,got himself under an old downed tree on the edge of the flat.Badger swells up n kids horse cant get him pulled out,till Mr Badger lets loose n he then shoots out from under that tree,like hes on a rubber band.He lights right at ole Ponies Hocks and gets plumb defensive about all these doins.Mr Pony has all this he wants,and goes to buckin.Kid decides he better divorce his dallies and coils before he gets lynched and gets pony to line out straight,but still buckin.It takes kid about a mile n a half to get Ponys head up and bent around.It gives the Kid a little time to review the situation and to conclude,that Badger ropein,on a green colt,aint exactly a wise thing to undertake.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 11:07:41 pm »
Traxx?  Is that a direct Charlie Russell story?  WoW!  I thought I had read them all by now. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 11:29:19 pm »
Naw,
But it oughta be.Actually,it was a story,bout a young,dumb kid,that just happened to have the same name n date of birth as i do.LOL
Ropein a black bear,was less dramatic,than ropein that Badger.LOL

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 07:52:12 am »
Well here it is, 3 AM with sleep at bay.  Traxx, you sound like my kind of fella.  Lots of people have forgotten that life has stressful moments, and if you live an adventurous life, then you are well prepared for those stressful moments.  It is too bad that leading an adventurous lifestlye is under attack. Heck, in today's society, if it is not safe, then it is against the law.  Too bad really, because we loose a lot good men to today's predicaments.

I did a lot for that particular project.  I received a spot bonus of several hundred dollars for enduring  -34 degree Fahrenheit temps while conducting the first winter survey for golden eagles on the project.  Not to mention the acoustic bat data coming from that project. That was the first really good acoustic data we had collected.  We avoided a potentially huge data gap when I navigated, over the phone, a naive biologist through the use of a voltmeter to troubleshoot a system error. 

In retrospect, it was a good experience.  Hard to explain, but it has worked out for the better.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »
Great story and I feel your pain. I just finished an Incident Report for Tetra Tech for sinking the Airboat a few weeks ago.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »
great story!! i think i'll stick with the 30-30
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"