Author Topic: Useful snake "parts" question  (Read 2057 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Useful snake "parts" question
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:31:51 am »
Anything else useful in a snake after the meat and skin?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Useful snake "parts" question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 02:01:19 am »
Howdy,  There was a post of jewelry made from snake vertebrae somewhere on this forum.   The heads of rattlesnakes embedded in acrylic make really!!! kitchy paperweights.  Unlaid eggs would probably be goos to eat ( just a guess.)    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:13:55 am »
Yes Sir!

Acrylic... That's what I was thinking of... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:56:50 am »
I made a necklace from the vertabrae.  I threw the snake in the edge of the woods and marked the spot.  A year later I went and picked up all the vertabrae.  A quick rinse and an overnight soak in 40 volume peroxide got them nice and white.

It would be hard, but a whitened rattlesnake skull would look amazing.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:19 pm »
I'd love to have some vertebrae for beads on knife sheaths if'n anybody skins a big one. 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:35:24 pm »

I believe some Asian cultures, like the Vietnamese, make a blood wine, and some cultures, pulverize the bones, for medicinal purposes.  As for snake vertebrae for beads, you could use fish vertebrae, if you don't have access to large snakes.  Hey, I know of this guy in Arizona, who has a lot of large snakes, and..... Just kidding Nate. ;) ;D ;D ;D  Speaking of, we haven't heard anything from you in quite awhile.  I hope all is well with You and the Family, and the little belly chafer's too. ;)  Cipriano, you could boil the remains of one, and bleach it, and then run a wire, through the vertebrae, and skull, and pose it in a cage, like oops, I knew there was another pet that needed feeding and watering...... ::) ;D ;D ;D  Oooh, you could also put a mouse, or rat skeleton in the stomach area of the bones also.... ;) ;D ;D ;D  I know, I know, I am a sick person.  But it is ok, I am known for that.

Wayne

Wayne

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:45:19 pm »
That would be awesome Stickbender.  It would be very hard to do.  The ribs would have to be glued on somehow.  Boiling the bones would be bad for them.  Either maceration or dermestid beatles would work the best for defleshing a snake skeleton.  Maybe Cipriano could find a nice fire ant colony and let them clean the bones for him.  I've heard that Texas has a few of those  ;D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 04:59:32 pm »

There ya go Cip, look for a nice big fire ant colony!  That is what we used to do as kids, with cow skulls, and horns, bones, etc. ;)  Think of it as a ....uh....uh....a relaxing way to spend the evening after supper, practicing, your dexterity with threading a small copper wire through the tiny little vertebrae......  You can start with the mouse......  ;) ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:32:26 pm »
I like the necklace idea.
And the Bead Idea.

The Skeleton idea would be cool too but I think beetles would be better for cleaning the bones.

With a nice big Rattler I might:
Think I'd milk the venom.
Then place the snake in a snake sack or thick pillow case tied off, in the freezer for the required time to euthanize.
Then Skin it.
Next Fillet it for the Grease and feed the body with Skinned head to some domesticated beetles.

Handling the head specially while skinning it would be a Delicate procedure.

Once the beetles were done soak the bones overnight in 30-40 Volume Peroxide to whiten as Osage Outlaw has said.

Then rebuild the snake skeleton.

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:51:31 pm »
I've got several "piles" of snake vertabre.  They are very pointy.  I think they would be pointy as a necklace.  Maybe a bigger boned snake could have the bones rolled in a tumbler for an hour or two to round off the edges.  They don't look like fish verts (round), they are shaped like ours w/ prongs sticking off.

Creason, I'll see what I have right off hand.  I found one yesterday on the road I threw to the side too.

dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:13 pm »
They really don't hurt your neck when you wear them as a necklace.