Author Topic: Twisted  (Read 1556 times)

Offline RobWiden

Twisted
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:06:37 pm »
    I have several yew staves with a 90 degree twist in 6 ft. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that yew responds well to dry heat, but I can't find it. Anybody know if I can untwist them with a heat gun?    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Twisted
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »
I dont know your answer. I do know you cant use them as is, so try it and see what happens? They arent any good otherwise right?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:52:03 pm »
Not much experience with yew, but I bet you could make your staves kind of board-like and steam/heat straighten. Then add your handle piece after that ;).

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:53:20 pm »
I've straightened Yew with both steam and dry heat it responded well to both. Haven't taken out twist just up/down right/left bends.
Give it plenty of time clamped up after treatment to stabilise (at least 2 days IMO) else it might creep back.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 05:58:51 pm »
I've taken out twist in yew with dry heat - but never 90 degrees worth  :o
Gordon

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:21:12 pm »
    Thanks, guys. Sounds like it's well worth trying. I'll try to remember to let you know how it works out.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:30:22 pm »
I've taken as much as 120 degrees of twist out of osage, but not yew.  With a lot of twist, you can't get greedy.  Take it out 6-8 inches at a time and allow several days in between treatments. 

Good luck and post your progress along with pics.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:30:41 pm »
    Well, guys, it's slow but it's working. I'm still having trouble with 20th century technology, can't seem to get pictures posted. Maybe I'll find time to work on that next week.    Rob