Author Topic: Got some turkey wings!! Now what?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Nifty

Got some turkey wings!! Now what?
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:21:15 pm »
So, I work with a bunch of guys who are turkey hunters. I've never turkey hunted before, just squirrels and deer, but that's beside the point. Anyway, I put it out there a few weeks ago that I'd like to get some wing feathers if anyone didn't want them. My boss showed up Monday morning with 2 sets of turkey wings from Opening Day's hunt!

So, I have 2 right wings and 2 left wings, currently residing in my freezer. What do I do with them now? I am familiar with splitting and grinding them, but I think I remember that something needs to be done to kill the parasites that live in the feathers? Also, how do I remove the feathers from the wings without damaging any of the useful feather, is it best to just clip them at the base with a pair of dikes?

Thanks everyone.
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Got some turkey wings!! Now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:58:58 pm »
I clip them off with big wire cutters at the base of the feather. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:26:30 pm »
Definately leave them in the freezer for a week or more.  That will kill all the bugs on them.  Then you can clip them off, and put them in a bag with moth balls/flakes, cedar shavings, or borax. 

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:03:36 am »
looks like it is time for you to start building some arrows!!! Be careful it is a lot of work and more addictive than drugs!!!! Best thing is you have something to show for your time.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 01:17:10 am »
SALT EM!!!!!
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:57:40 am »
If you freeze them for a week, all parasites will be gone.  Take one out @ a time since you've never done this before and start looking around @ the feathers.  There will be 6 or 8 really nice sized ones, those are the primaries.  If I were me, I'd start w/ one of the lesser quality ones and see how they cut w/ the tool I'm using.  There will be small feathers on both sides of the big ones that I pull off to make room for the scissors and to see better.  If you get a little flesh on them it pulls right off.  I usually don't use pesticides.  Your luck already looks good, have fun! dpgratz 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50:45 am »
I cut the off with wire cutters at the base of the feather,or if I have a lot and in a hurry I use the band saw. I keep them separate left and right and put all the secondaries together.Usually have 9 primaries on an adult Tom.Then I put them in an air tight container and fog It with some sort of bug spray,even if you kill what is on them now more will get on them if you leave them out. congrats I hunt them and also have a lot of buddies hunt them so I do a lot of wings a year.They will keep forever [I guess] if you keep the dry and air tight,In fact I like them better after a year or of seasoning.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:07:23 am »
Folks please please please make sure when you grind to make sure you wear a good quality dual cartridge respirator.  The dust from feathers is toxic and will cause severe health issues!!!!! All of the above methods are good and work. If anyone doesn't want to or can't grind I will do them for you. Pm for info if you want.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 11:12:21 am »
Just like they have said, clip the feathers off at the base of the quill. If you were given the entire wing, you also have four wingbone calls in those wings. Besides making arrows the wingbone calls are fun to make.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:02:55 pm »
Just like they have said, clip the feathers off at the base of the quill. If you were given the entire wing, you also have four wingbone calls in those wings. Besides making arrows the wingbone calls are fun to make.
ohh yeah, lot's 'o fun ;D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹