Author Topic: When to toast?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline DQ

When to toast?
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:59:11 pm »
I'm making a HHB flat bow.  I have it pretty well floor tillered right now.  When would be the best time to toast the belly?  Floor tiller stage?  Brace height stage?  Fully tillered stage?  What has been your best experience?  Thanks.  Darryl

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: When to toast?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »
I prefer a very good floor tiller or long string tiller.  If the bow isnt close to tillered you can end up with one limb tempered and one with all the good tempered wood scraped or rasped away. By the time you get it tillered for good your temper is gone. Been there done that once.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:12 pm »
I usualy long string to just about brace before i temper.
Steve Bennett

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:45:55 am »
Usualy mid tiller and maybe near the end too.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:18:11 am »
I've done this at every stage you mention..... not sure if there's a correct answer to this. Any time I do any heating, I wait a few days before I do any bending on it

Jon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:30:54 am »
I do it most of the time at about 20 inches,like others have not sure it matters,Also like Jon said I wait a few day before bending again. :) I also
do a little [not really tosting] after it is floor tillered and on my form just to get the humps out /a little reflex and everything lined up for tillering. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:53 am »
  I use to do it a inch before final draw lenth this way so don't file away your templer. And what weight the temper puts in you have a inch to get to your final weight.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING