Author Topic: how to fix bamboo splinters?  (Read 7369 times)

Offline Jesse

how to fix bamboo splinters?
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:11:33 am »
 My neighbors boobacked ipe  bow developed a splinter that raised at mid limb on the top. We bent it backwards just enough to get super glue in it and it seemed to fix it but he just called me to say another one showed up right next to the first but worse like 4 inches long. Anything we can do besides just adding more glue? Any ideas why this happened? I dont think he scraped of the rind but I know he did sand it some. I was thinking it might be the way he sanded it. Not very even. Some parts still shiny some down to the fibers. I have not had this problem yet so I need some advice. I assured him it could be fixed even though I have not seen it yet. He called me from his cabin and sounded pretty down about it. Thanks
                                                            Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline armymedic.2

Re: how to fix bamboo splinters?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:22:20 am »
i heard someone on this site say they reinforced weak spots with a sinew wrap, and then covered that with thread.  in the pic it actually gave it a lot of nice character.  it was not boo, but i suspect that wrapping it with sinew is a lot like backing a bow with sinew.   one of the main reaosns for using a backing is to hold down splinters on imperfect wood so i can't see why that might not work.  best of luck to him. 
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:34:38 am »
Thanks armymedic I thought of that as a last resort solution. last resort because we lack sinew. The splinter is still connected end to end if you know what I mean. Its not cracked across the back from what he tells me. Its like the impact of it being shot is doing the damage not drawing it. Maybe that doesnt make sense?
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:17:29 am »
Wrapping it with sinew is in my opinion the best option.  It can be done with just silk thread.  Read this, it has all kinds of usefull info.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2062.0.html   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 01:33:29 am »
Thanks Justin I will try the silk and thread if I can talk him into it. May I ask how that bow is doing today? Did it fix it? I know he will be a little upset to have a patch on it but the way you did it looks nice. maybe a matching one on the lower limb for looks.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 01:42:32 am »
The patch fixed the problem, the bow is fine.  Just make sure you get the splinter glued down tight before you wrap.  Then make sure the wrap is tight.  Also, you will need plenty of super glue.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 01:18:41 am »
 I glued and sinew wrapped a boo splinter that just wouldn't stay down after several attempts, I haven't finished the bow yet but it seems to be holding it just doesn't look as nice as without it. But if it will save the bow it's worth it.
VB

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 12:25:46 pm »
Thanks venisonburger I will advise him to use sinew but right now we have none so I think we will try the silk and thread.  I have never used sinew before and I was wondering how many deer it takes on average to back a whole bow say 66" long?   Thanks
                                                                                                                               Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 01:26:00 am »
My guess would be approx 10 leg tendons, so 2 1/2 deer. I never really figured it out. also depends on how thick you put it on. I usually do 2 layers.
VB