Author Topic: My Second Arrow  (Read 3377 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
My Second Arrow
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:23:32 am »
This is my 2nd arrow ever. Made from bamboo from K-mart. The turkey feathers are from a road kill. ;) The sinew is from deer we harvested and I chewed it up before applying. I used a duplex nail filed down for the point and a few drops of super glue for good measure. Suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: My Second Arrow
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:08:03 am »
Looks great!  My only suggestion is to wrap sinew behind point.  This keeps bamboo shaft from splitting on impact.  This is a must if you actually plan on shooting this arrow and its not just for decoration!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:53:14 pm »
I agree w/ CKC about the wrapping behind the point, go about and inch and a half up the shaft.  Did you seal the sinew?  Superglue will work for that too.  My biggest suggestion to you is not to shoot this one up into the air.  ;)   ;D dpgratz

Good looking arrow by the way.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:41:30 pm »
Thanks guys, it was great fun!  I'm doing a bunch more now. 
@ cherokeeKC Ok I will do the sinew wrap.  It will be nice to add tip weight also.  I was just worried about it hindering penetration.  Yes, all my arrows are for shooting.  :)
@bowtarist most of it is not sealed but the top is becuase I put some superglue on the nock to reinforce it.  Eventually I'd like to move to all natural material if they hold up (no super glue).  First I just need some to shoot and building experience.  I could put some hide glue over if needed.  Im also looking into natural target points.  As for shooting it into the air, I can't make any promises.  I'll at least do it where there aren't trees.  ;)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 06:43:13 pm »
how long did it take ya? I'm thinking bout heading to the local hardware and buying some bamboo garden stakes.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
Very nice job. makes me regret having my turkey feathers cut. really like the looks of the more primitive fletch.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:08:23 pm »
I would have added a bit more sinew in front of the feathers.  The quill looks a bit exposed which can damage cut you if shooting off your hand.  ALOT better looking than my second arrow.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:12:48 pm »
They don't take too long.  The build along on this site is good and I found a nice YT video on cutting the turkey feathers.  I'm guessing an hour an arrow when you get good.  I've already straightened 9 more that I need to feather up!  BTW it penetrates as much as my alunimum arrows!  wow! 

I trimmed the feathers down and in some to clear my fingers while shooting.  I'd like to wrap more sinew but I'm rationing.  I only have 3/4 of a buck worth.  It saddens that I didn't even take it from my other 4 deer last year before I started this stuff.  :(

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »
BTW I heated over fire but I'm sure a heat gun works great as well.  It helps a lot to have a flat surface to roll it on while your bending!  The technique that's working for me is to straighten the shafts (between the nodes) first ignoring the nodes and them move on to the nodes.  If I try to do both at once it screws me all up.   :o   :P
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:36:36 pm »
I see I lit the bamboo arrow flame under your...... Good looking arrow.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:23:12 pm »
My only suggestion is that yo point that thing the other way, it looks dangerous. 

Does your mother know you are doing this???
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rmcpb

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:32 am »
Nice arrow! I like the woodies/shoot arrows  :)

Quick question though, how hard is it to change the point for hunting. Surely you don't hunt with basically a field point.
Cheers
Rob.

Blue Mountains, NSW.

Its OK to make a mistake. Just try not to make the same one twice...........

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:54 am »
@Bill that you did my friend.  Makin arrows is almost as fun as bows!  ;)
@JW haha She is wondering why I have not killed anything with it yet!
@rmcpb thanks man!  that nail is glued in, I'll have seperate arrows for hunting.  I think can put in inserts to allow screw ins but that not too primitive.  :)  Unless I make some decent points before season I'll be doing that this year.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:52 am »
You would need to somehow yank out the 16d duplex, gluewood inside the boo and put a glue on head on, it is better to just make one arrow for broadheads and one for nails.
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 01:35:05 am »
PA,

Brittle pine pitch and alcohol makes a great sealer. Not authentic, but fairly primitive.  ;) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)