Author Topic: horse hair on bows  (Read 1215 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
horse hair on bows
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:15 pm »
Anybody know if there is a reason to put horse hair on a Native American type bow? Or is it just ornamental? I was just wondering, cause I have access to some of it, and I also know someone who is apache indian and would like me to make him a bow. I was just wondering the history of this practice and if only certain tribes did this? Any info is appreciated! Thanks all.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline half eye

Re: horse hair on bows
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:14 pm »
I have seen bows that had horse hair, unbraided yarns, ribbons (with or without feathers, and I guess even some with scalp-locks. Believe it's ornamental. Some of the Iroquois speakers had hair on the finials but I believe that was human....most of the horse hair (like from a favorite war pony or a pony taken from an enemy) decorations would have been with the "horse cultures" which a lot of the Great Lakes tribes were not.

After all that, don't believe hair on an Apache bow would be in order, most I've seen were short and plain.....some of the Kiowa/Apache (Lipans) may have had the custom but like I said I have never seen one.
rich

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: horse hair on bows
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:35:12 am »
Well said halfeye
Clatskanie, Oregon