Author Topic: limb trouble  (Read 5039 times)

Offline armymedic.2

limb trouble
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:18:28 pm »
so, the new bow i just had posted is giving me some worry.   im not sure if i am over analyzing or if it is worthy of concern.  The top limb is leaning one way about 3-5 degrees.  i noticed the slight lean while tillering it, and didn't really think anything of it because it didn't seem too bad.  I don't think it has gotten any worse with the 100 or so shots i've put thorugh it, but i can't stop looking at it wondering when it will twist hard and ruin my bow.  Do i need to worry about it, should i use heat to twist it back?  can i since there is a finish on it? it shoots just great, no hand shock or anything like that, but seeing it worries me.  am i weakining the bow by shooting it with it leaning slightly?  like i said, it has been there since the beginning and i don't think it is getting worse but my mind is going crazy thinking i may have a fatal flaw in my new bow!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline TRACY

Re: limb trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:47:38 pm »
Just looked at your pics and could not see any leaning or twists. Congrats on your bow, it looks great. I use a lot of hickory and sometimes it will have a propellor in one or both limbs. I have yet to have any problems shooting that would endanger the bow. It may not be as fast as it could be, but it still delivers a lethal blow. Is your problem when the bow is strung or unstrung? That it is my two cents for what its worth.  You are definitely in the right place for some really good input.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:57:43 pm »
you can only notice it when it is strung.  if i look at the top nock, i can tell that the string is not sitting perfectly flush because of th slight lean.  the only way to see it is to string it, then turn the bow belly down so you can sight down the flat plane of the back.  about 2/3 of the way up the limb you can see it lean just a few degrees.  it is not noticeable unbraced.    there is now odd feel to shooting the bow at all.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 10:59:17 pm »
  Don't worry about propeller twist .As long as the string lines up with the center or the rest ,you are all right.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:13:06 pm »
okay it feels good to hear that, it just seemed like it would stress it more and more and finally twist, but yall are the experts!  thanks guys

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:46:48 am »
Prop twist won't hurt a thing. Some people can't stand it and  heat it all out but if it isn't severe, I leave it alone-it's part of the natural character of the tree and reminds you that you're working with natural materials instead of perfect synthetic laminations. I have one osage bow that the stave had so much twist the bow has positive tiller looking at it from one side and negative tiller from the other. After thousands of arrows, it still shoots fine. Probably the best shooting bow I ever made was a white ash flatbow with probably 35 degrees of prop twist. You wouldn't want to leave it in a recurve, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 10:58:20 pm »
I'm working on a low poundage kids elm bow right now that has some twist.  I have heated and clamped it for the third time and after this time it is going to be what it is!!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 04:54:14 am »
Medic, After a while of doing this you will enjoy taking the most twisted, asymmetrical   piece of wood, and turning it into a shooter..

Keeps things amusing ;D

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 08:37:55 pm »
thanks to all who replied, i am sure i will enjoy the twist in wood more and more, but to a novice the thought is troubling.  i went stump shooting with it today and it shot great.  ive got about 150-170 shots through it now and it is still whippin' em out there.  no more twist than what it was and no splinters! love the bow.