Author Topic: first all wood bow pics!  (Read 15105 times)

Offline armymedic.2

first all wood bow pics!
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:21:46 pm »
after a lot of consideration, reading, studying, and hard work, ii came out with my first all wood bow. ( i made one before with a weird backing that i think cracked).  Anyway, i used hickory as bow wood, with a bamboo back.  The handle and rest are made of mahogany.  all tillering was done with a cabinet scraper.  rest was with a 4-way rasp.  the finish is clear coat.
Specs: 65# @26"
         72" nock to nock
   seems to like a 5 1/2"brace
i flight shot it today, and it made it 150 yards with my regular hunting arrows (there was about 5 mph wind) shoots to 20 yards just as fast as my 50# martin recurve

being that im a newbie, please feel free to criticise tiller and such so that i can improve next time.  I just hope it holds up so i can take a deer with it in a couple of months! so excited!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:24:51 pm by armymedic.2 »
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: first all wood bow pics!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:32:07 pm »
  Looks a little over built, but it should be a reliable hunting bow.The tiller looks dead on.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:58:33 pm »
It looks great.  You should be proud if it is your first or tenth.  Like Eddie said, it looks plenty heavy built. Being boo backed hickory, it should last forever.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:16:18 pm »
thanks guys, i am very proud.  I left the handle large to accomadate my big paws, but im guessing you guys are saying it is overbuilt because of width?  length?  please feel free to elaborate.  i am very interested in learning more and i promise i won't be upset with criticism.   ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:25:20 pm »
Yesser! that's plenty stout, I think the overbuilt part is in the design combined with draw weight for most people - not something you'd shoot hundreds of times in a day ;). Pretty much guaranteed to take a deer down if you connect though. Love the bow and tiller - great job!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:06:53 am »
You did a fine job with this bow. The tiller is right on and like others said, a durable hunting bow. As you continue to build bows, you will experiment with width, length and design until you find what suits you best(sometimes you just keep building then just because! ;D). You will have no problems finding your way from where you are starting. ;).  I prefer a less blocky handle riser but if that one works for your big paws then thats fine ;D. You shouldn't have to worry about it popping off. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:44:09 am »
Armymedic, you did real good, and deserve to be as proud as you look in the pics.  How long is the arrow you are shooting?
Rich

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 02:59:56 am »

hey, that tiller looks  R  E  A  L  L  Y   good!

yes the bow seems a bit over-build, the handle looks clumsy for my taste....that's stuff that will come out better/nicer on your next bow and even better on the one after that! what's important for you to know right now is:

that tiller looks  R  E  A  L  L  Y   good!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 05:45:41 am »
Looks good to me,very nice job.Sounds like a real shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:06:08 am »
Looks pretty good, a little bit overbuilt but a durable bow is better than a piece of fire-wood ;)

a finnish native

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 06:51:30 am »
nice bow. I would not use a bow that long for trailing and stalk hunting though. tiller is dead on.

DBernier

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 07:11:43 am »
Great looking bow. I prefer a long stout bow and the boo/hickory is a combo I will try. I like poundage in the 60's and at my 28 inch + pull would give me a 70+ #. I "like" it.   ;D

Dick

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:39:59 am »
The smile on your face in the last pic says it all. Great job.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

aandu

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 08:08:49 am »
Hope someday I will be able to build something like this...! Great job...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 08:32:48 am »
Great job especially on a first bow! Like others have said, the good tiller is the most important and impressive feature about your bow. It tells me that you have a great start and can only continue to improve your skills. The 72" is a little long especially for a hunting bow in my opinion, but a good length for a first bow as it is more forgiving of mistakes...not that I see any with yours. The handle area is non-bending and can have the edges highly radiused. I think that was what most were referring to due to a more rectangular shape with yours. What I strive for in a handle is comfort, which usually ends up more rounded especially on the belly side.

It should hold up well for you and make for a good hunting bow! ;)

Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...