Author Topic: A little walk around my hood  (Read 3419 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
A little walk around my hood
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:22:10 pm »
After working on my hackberry recurve this morning I got hungry to shoot one for myself. I grabbed Curvey Canebrake off the rack and a new type of quiver/bag deal I stitched up yesterday. I hadnt used it yet and wanted to see how it hunted.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A little walk around my hood
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »
I couldnt wait to get to my summer harvest and show you guys. I have been eyeballing this beauty for a few years. Its about 12-13" round and straight for 30 feet. I count no less than 18-20 staves. What a beautiful tree. I found a small grove off hackberry babies a hundred yards away. None bigger than 3" for now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:44:06 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:27:23 pm »
We do have a holler or two up yonder!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »
This is the stand my oldest got his first archery deer from. What a view eh?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »
A tree to make any HHB lover jealous. This one is about 14-16" across and mostly clean and straight for 10 feet. Then its a twisted, nasty mess of a tree like most!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »
This is my ace in the hole. If I get my butt in this stand at least six or seven times the first week of November I will have an opportunity at an older deer. Its the only stand I have ever had like it. I have shot two older bucks in four years and blew chances the other two years. I feel very fortunate every time I plant my ass in it. :D I write a Thank You card out to the landowner each winter. The pic is hard to see. Just follow the ladder stick up. I took the opportunity to snap a closer pic of my combo satchel.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »
Last but not least. Thee ground blind. My youngest wont get two steps up a tree without soiling his hunting pants. We will either finish off one Ma Nature started, or drape camo netting around a few trees. These are pics of his..........and my favorite. Its a "flip" blind Ma Nature gave up on. Its a partial rock pile so we stacked some extra heavy branches around then covered the gaps with branches in bloom and corn stalks. Pitched out rocks from the center to lower us and bolster the walls. It worked great. He seen deer but never had a shot. I seen deer and turkeys and missed em' both at 20 yards!  ;D It seems to have wintered well. A few branches this fall and its good to go. That concludes the tour of my hood. Hope you enjoyed..............your hub caps are safe here  ;)

P.S. I added a pic of one of last years leftover love spots.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:46:08 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 07:02:22 pm »
Thin out those three inchers, they make great bows.  And what is left behind will have access to more nutrients and moisture making it grow faster!

That big hack makes my mouth water and my Lee Valley Veritas spokeshave quiver!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 07:37:34 pm »
sweeeeeet buddy....looks like some nice stomping grounds. and i had to wipe some saliva off my keyboard looking at the hack and hhb....CUT those suckers down in a month or so. then split,peel bark,seal,and send to me >:D 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:03:56 pm »
Nice place!  I like that quiver/pouch.  You should be killing tons of deer in that area. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 12:39:45 am »
That is a nice spot(s). The stand in the multi trunk tree is an excellent hide. I like the simplicity of your ground blinds too. Having access to good bow wood makes that spot even sweeter. Your annual winter thank you card must be paying off.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 02:06:29 am »
Pearly that's a nice hood. I love those pics and the bow wood makes us all even happier for you. He blinds are the icing on the cake. That quiver and pouch goes well with that yellow wood.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:48 am »
Beautiful pictures,thanks for sharing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »
That is a nice spot(s). The stand in the multi trunk tree is an excellent hide. I like the simplicity of your ground blinds too. Having access to good bow wood makes that spot even sweeter. Your annual winter thank you card must be paying off.  8)

Every stand I place has to be in no less than a two tree cluster Pat. These bows that need to be drawn at an exact moment require much more hiding that the draw and hold 2 minutes bows do.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 02:35:12 pm »
Beautiful place to hunt and live near! That hhb and hackberry both look like they need to be taken out of their misery. nice pics PD thanks for showing.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis