Author Topic: Take down Sleeves Fitting  (Read 1713 times)

Offline bigcountry

Take down Sleeves Fitting
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:32:51 am »
Is there another method to fit the brass sleeves with the steel handle piece?  I sat down for an hour and emory cloth and still can't get the sleeve all the way in.

I want to do slow and have a good fit.  I just wonder if brass is galling with the steel. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Take down Sleeves Fitting
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:02:18 pm »
I do know from experience that they will only fit in one direction as both sleeves are very slightly tapered. :embarassed:
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:52:35 pm »
I think you are doing it the only way I know how.  It takes time. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline broketooth

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:38 am »
it takes time. the epoxy you used to fit the brass limb butts to your billets does expand.
you can use a jewelers file to knock the burrs down. then use 400 grit wet dry sandpaper
to get it smooth. it should be a snug fit. i trick to keep it a true takedown is to coat the lower
brass butt with good old nose grease. everyone has it , and its free. the installation of the sleeve for my takedown was followed
by a fellow named Shaun.the rest was tillered like a regular self bow. rv

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:11:02 pm »
Well, after 2 hours on one, and an hour on another, I got em fitting tight but can pull out.  I found some course emory cloth.   Lots of work.

Thanks,
Mark
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:05:12 pm »
Ok, one thing I learned the hard way is, glue the brass sleeves in first before fitting.

I had the brass fitting great. After gluing up with MT13 now they are so tight, I have to refit. Stuff must expand like you said.
Westminster, MD

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 12:26:00 am »
 Do not force them in. They will fit so tight they will be hard to get apart. Work the wood slowly till they fit the pieces like a clock fitting.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:48:08 am »
i think when i make mine i'll go the fiberglass cloth and epoxie way that madcrow did in the how too's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:52 am »
I have had that trouble,I always now mark them the way they come and be very careful working with them not to clamp or bend them or force them at all,that usually works out to a nice snug/no noise fit that will come apart with ease. :)
if you force them or bend in any way they are a pain and I have done the same as you with emery cloth and carefully fitting them back,it takes time but don't get inpatient or they will make noise when you draw the bow or you will have trouble getting them apart.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good