Author Topic: Getting back in the game...  (Read 2155 times)

Offline hatcha

Getting back in the game...
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »
I've been in a funk for pretty much the past year - made redundant in December 2010, not gotten work yet.  I'm dragging myself back into the world...  Slowly.  As "disposable income" is pretty much a non-runner, I'm getting back into the ol' archery/bowhunting frame of mind.  Finally getting ready to work a bow blank I bought from Gary Davis a year and a half ago.  Along with that, I'm working on some tonkin shafts I bought from David Knight (about two years ago) and fitting them with trade points from Kustom King.

Here's a teaser pic...

A dab of glue (Araldite) and bound with artificial sinew.

I found out today that a local shop sells hanging scales (for anglers/fish) that go up to 200lbs so, if it's open tomorrow (Paddy's day), I'll get one and set up a wall-mount and rope etc. 

Keep you posted...

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Getting back in the game...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 01:46:11 am »
Glad to see ya back at 'er buddy.  I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with your bow. 

That's a nice lookin stabber you made there, now you just gotta get it bloody.   >:D

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:15:56 am »
That's a great looking point. Glad to see you back at it. Keep your chin up.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:49 am »
Nice to see you back.  Hey, your mascara is running!  >:D  (inside joke based on a foto on his Facebook page)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:34:30 am »
WElcome back!  Good looking arrow.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 04:23:39 pm »
Thanks guys!  I can feel the excitement growing inside me with each addition to the quiver I make.  Couldn't get the scale today so it'll be Monday instead.  I'll get to scraping off the protective varnish Gary used for steaming, over the weekend.  Do the floor tillering and make a long string for it.  Been a while since I cramped up my hands with some B55 so I've got that to look forward to!

Good joke JW ;)  I'll have you know that's my "Happy Face"  :D

Thanks Cip.  I'll try :)

Cam...  Bowhunting still isn't legal here in Ireland though I do know a guy with 16 acres not to far from me (a Druid) that's had reports and hoofprints of a "wild boar" wandering around his land and surrounding forestry.  While it'd be nice to hunt and harvest the piggy, I think I'll leave it - just in case he gets to sow some of his oats and produce some offspring.  It'd be nice if wild pig spread across the country.  What I will do is focus on some rabbit and hare that wander around his land as well.  I'll let you know if I'm successful ;)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »
Yes sir. Where in Ireland are you? Are you a fan of WB Yates?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:49:07 pm »
Yes sir. Where in Ireland are you? Are you a fan of WB Yates?

Cipriano

My wife and I are from Dublin, originally.  After a few years living four doors down from my wife's parents (my idea at the time...) we moved down to Portlaoise (pronounced Portleash) where we lived for five years.  The in-laws still managed to keep visiting us so we moved across the country to just outside a small town in North County Roscommon.

Still they visit...   :o

Just joking!!  hehehe  I get on amazingly well with my in-laws. 

So yeah...  coming up on four and a half years living here and, if I have anything to do with it, we'll not be moving on.  We all love it here - large garden for the kids and dogs.  Seclusion from "civilisation" and the neighbours leave me alone (probably got something to do with me cutting up a real estate sign with my swords the night we moved in...)

Not arrow-related but I've just spent the last while scraping off the varnish from the bow.  I've taken a couple of pic's of it and will post when we find the camera lead :D

***EDIT***

That I can remember, I've never read anything by W.B.   You like his work?

***ANOTHER EDIT***

A couple of pic's of the "jig" I drew up and a fella up the road machined for me out of aluminium.

Helps me use a handsaw to cut a slot in the shaft and keep it straight.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:03:10 pm by hatcha »

Offline hatcha

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »
Couple of progress pic's.  I masked off the shaft below the arti-sinew and sprayed a clear lacquer on the point and the wrap to try keep it "neat" looking.  I'm planning to dye and DNA the rest of the shaft on each arrow - like Tim Ott's "eye candy cane" featured in the Apr/May 2010 issue of PA - after I tune them to the bow, of course.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 11:28:25 am »
Good to see ya back at it,good looking arrows. :) :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 04:36:00 pm »
I was in the woods yesterday and overheard some deer claiming it is impossible for an Irishman to stick them with an arrow.  Wonder if they were referring to you Mr. Hatch?

Offline hatcha

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »
Thanks Pappy :)

I was in the woods yesterday and overheard some deer claiming it is impossible for an Irishman to stick them with an arrow.  Wonder if they were referring to you Mr. Hatch?

They probably were, John.  Good thing I'm workin' up to proving them wrong ;)  Don't tell them, though... :-X >:D 8)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:56 pm »
Hehehe