Author Topic: The Hunger Game  (Read 8129 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Re: The Hunger Game
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 09:20:22 am »
haven't read the books, but the movie was not very impressive.  i could see some potential, but they didn't pull it off.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 06:51:46 pm »
I broke down and bought the book.  I meant to use it as something to read while relaxing before bed.  About 3:30 a.m. I finished it. 

There are a few themes in there meant to appeal to the age group:
1) I am an individual and you can't take that from me.
2) Authority abused is an authority to be opposed.
3) Fear of being removed from those I love.

And then one theme underneath all the rest that quietly teaches a great lesson all young need to learn:  It is adversity that makes you stronger. 

Yeah, not exactly great literature but a ripping good adventure for sure. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 06:53:45 am »
I read the whole trilogy, things get a lot better in the third book  :P  Anyway, which bow are you thinking of? I just saw the movie today and there were two bows, the one used in the games & training looked like metal to me. The arrows were very cool also.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 03:55:26 pm »
I think John Scifries from TG made the bows fro the Hunger Game.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 04:09:43 pm »
I'm working on a hickory version of the "real bow" that Katniss used for hunting. 

It appears to be fairly narrow limbed just out of the fades, straight taper toward the tips, then a bit of an "eiffel tower" lever out on the ends that does not bend. 

Am I seeing this correctly? 

(I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll betcha ten to one that the bow makes the cool "creaky leather saddle" sounds when pulled.  Man, I wish I knew how to make bows make that sound!   >:D)

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 10:21:18 pm »
I read the books and the bow is used in all three books.  My children and their friends (teens and pre-teens) all loved the movie.  I saw it and thought they did a good job of adapting the book to film.  However, the book is always better!. 

After seeing the bow that her dad was supposed to have made (the one she hunts with in the beginning) I want to make one like that for my daughter. 

Offline johnston

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 11:07:37 am »
There was a "reading" thread on here a while back and I mentioned the Hunger Games as a good
read. The sequels are entertaining as well. And, I really enjoyed the movie.

It seemed to me the media tried to point out and demean the concept of teens killing teens and
there was a lot of talk about whether the movie made villains out of the Red People or the Blue
People. Was happy to see that for once, the talking heads couldn't get any traction.

Lane

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 02:18:01 pm »
Pat, I totally agree. I posted a listing on craigslist offering archery lessons at Washington Park, a nice city park archery range, near me.  Unfortunately, I have had only scammers reply so far.  I am sure there are kids out there wanting to learn archery after this movie.  I also take my new bows up to the local park to shoot arrows into a steep hillside.  It usually draws lots of positive attention.  I am not sure it is legal, but I will risk just for the sake of kids getting to see some arrows fly.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »
The way I sum up "The Hunger Games" to people who haven't read it is this:

It's the books "The Running Man" mixed with "1984" with a little bit of "The Long Walk" with the contestant elimination / alliance style game play of the show "Survivor".

They are young adult books, but read fast and are very interesting and well thought-out. I haven't seem the movie, but would recommend the books.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 03:33:15 am »
I have not seen it but my friend and his daughter did and they want one of each so i guess id better see it so i can get some made to bring a couple more into the light ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 05:05:34 am »
Well, I haven't read the books or seen the movie, but I also have noticed the Hollywood spotlight shining on the bow and arrow as of late.   Let's face it, the silver screen has always played a part in generating interest in archery...Art young hunts, Errol Flynn in Robin Hood, Fred Bear adventures, and even Deliverance.  I agree with Pat that we should seize the opportunity to teach those looking to learn about archery.

I am pretty stoked because my craigslist ad for archery lessons, led to my first student today (attached  pic). Her form isn't bad for only having a couple of dozen arrows under her belt.  Must be her coach ;)  And 5 more adults scheduled for Sunday! 

Spread the disease of toxophilia!  Or maybe spread the love of archery would be a better slogan, but Toxophilia is spreading would be a cool t-shirt, right?  Ok, it is decided I am making that t-shirt.  Anybody interested?  It will be black with white lettering on the front, and a nice simple longbow at brace on the back.  Suggestions on  design are welcome. 
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 07:26:15 pm »
Hmmm, is this the beginning of a grassroots conspiracy to overthrow the industrialized wheelie bows?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 11:31:40 pm »
People everywhere a re reeling for simplification, the timing is perfect, the wheelies will be overtaken!!!!  >:D

Here is a pic from yesterday's group.  One student even made a music video of the lesson and posted it on facebook!  8)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150644323991524&set=t.652485737&type=3
Facebook and craigslist are our allies in this movement!   

The neatest thing was that the majority of this group decided they liked the primitive bows best, even after shooting fiberglass recurves that were 20-40 fps faster, and watching one of their friends in the group driving tacks with an older compound. And the first student I had the other day was describing very honestly why she wanted to shoot a "real" bow rather than a technological contraption....while we were shooting next to a guy with a nice compound.  I know he heard her because his grouping suddenly fell apart that round.   ;D

Offline johnston

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:08 pm »
I want me one of those Tee shirts. PM for money.
I am impressed with the classes. Good job.

Lane

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 12:49:56 am »
I want me one of those Tee shirts. PM for money.
I am impressed with the classes. Good job.

Lane
i second that ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what