Author Topic: spine on birch doweling  (Read 3361 times)

radius

spine on birch doweling
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:40:56 pm »
anybody run any tests on this for consistency and so on?  I don't have a spine tester, but i know some of you guys do!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: spine on birch doweling
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 11:49:21 am »
With any doweled material there is going to be a wide range of spine weight and physical weight, even with dowels that are made specifically for arrows. When you buy store bought shafting the separation work has already been done to a certain extent. With regular doweling material their intended use is not for arrows but there will be a certain quantity of them that will fit into that category. It is up to you to find out which work best for you for your arrow making.
  A spine tester is to measure the deflection of a shaft with a specific amount of weight added to it's center. This is done with industry standards in place. The deflection numbers(in thousandth) and the amount of weight hanging from the center are only to achieve the industry standard and not necessary to find arrow shafting that will work as your arrows. You don't need a "spine tester", per se to make good arrows. If you have a commercial arrow that works well for you, place 2 nails in a wall 26" apart. Hang a weight from the center of the shaft and mark the deflection. Any shaft that bends to that point with the same weight added will be in the ball park. Some will come out stiffer and some will come out weaker. Even these "odd balls" can be adjusted to the correct spine by reducing their length(to increase spine weight) or by adding extra inches over the  "standard" 28" mark to decrease spine weight as well or by reducing their diameter by scraping, planing or sanding. You can get in the ball park when you are selecting the store bought dowels by a simple bending them in your hands and feeling their strength or weakness.
   When making hardwood shoot or sawn stock arrows generally you will start out with a blank that is possibly twice the diameter of the desired finished arrow. You reach the optimum size, physical weight and spine weight by working the shoot down with a plane or by scraping and/or sanding.
   Lots of arrows are made with birch dowels as well as other types of wood. Birch makes very good arrows. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:36:14 pm »
Birch run towards the heavy side, with half of my 3/8" dowels being 100+#. There's a good bit of varation, if you include those with grain flaws, but for the most part they're in the 65-90# range. A lot of difference, but playing with tapering and point weight should help.

Offline rattus58

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:50 am »
Birch run towards the heavy side, with half of my 3/8" dowels being 100+#. There's a good bit of varation, if you include those with grain flaws, but for the most part they're in the 65-90# range. A lot of difference, but playing with tapering and point weight should help.

I just noticed this... how would you rate Birch to Ramin?

Much Aloha...  8)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »
Birch is more consistent in weight than red oak or ramin dowels, in my experience.  Also, you can match the birch dowels by weight and the spines will be close as well.  You don't need a spine tester with birch.  You can weed out the "crazy" ones by shooting.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline scattershot

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »
I spined a batch that I bought several years ago, and the 5/16" were mostly in the mid 40s. The 3/8" were anywhere from 80# up, mostly. You can leave them long and/ or sand the middle of the shaft to bring the spine down, but leaving them long is my preference for the added weight. I find the 5/16" dowels great for longbows in the 50-55# range.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline rattus58

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:09:13 am »
anybody run any tests on this for consistency and so on?  I don't have a spine tester, but i know some of you guys do!

I've just received a 100 hickory shafts. Dry and fairly straight here is what I noticed about this doweling... 36"... most are 950 to almost 1100 grains. Spine shocked me ... many were in the .120 to .200... upwards of 100 pounds spine.

Sanding from 3/8 to 5/16 knocks off almost 200 grains over 36" and brings spine down to 75 to 100. Tapering front and rear... maybe a barrel taper over 14" each (28) overall brings spine down a little more... till you then cut to length... 32" in my case...

This weekend I should be able to test these in a longbow and a cut to center recurve...

Aloha...  8)