Author Topic: Pyramid bow build along  (Read 17687 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Pyramid bow build along
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 11:13:50 am »
Great build along. I just happen to have a hickory stave sitting 3 feet from me. Hmmmmm.....Might have to let the black locust bow project sit and fester for a little while longer. ( Best not to rush B.L. )  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 11:20:01 am »
Great build along.
It's good to see how someone else does it, we all have our little variatons and tricks.
Makes a nice change watching instead of doing :laugh:
I do love a nice pyramid.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »
Nice work so far sparty. Gotta love a nice chunk of Michigan hickory.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 02:54:57 pm »
Looking good ryan...im sure some folks will learn from ya. Pyramids are prob the easiest and one of the best designs to try for a beginner,as long as the stave is straight. And itll produce a fine shooter. Im sure youll be heat treating this as always.  ;)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 06:38:06 pm »
Thanks guys.

blackhawk, I would have heat treated it if I would have gotten that far. :(

Epic fail. After far too much scraping I finally got the tiller close to where I wanted it and I could already tell it was getting too light. Seemed like problem areas kept popping up even after trying to correct them. Made a string and first brace showed one limb was much stronger than the other. Frustration and a lack of patience lead to the last pic you see on the tillering tree. I’m not disappointed with the bow so much as I am with myself. After so much time off I was way too eager to get a bow finished this weekend and let that get the best of me. Not the first time this has happened either. Sorry I couldn’t finish this build along for you all. :(

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 06:41:25 pm »
Ouch... :'(
Bravo for posting it live.
I think posting our mistakes is as important as posting our successes. It all helps to show the newbies that this game can always turn and bite you on the butt.
As my Mum would say 'The man who never made a mistaken never made anything'.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 08:05:42 pm »
i wouldnt call that an epic fail....id call that a good learning lesson there. and i hope many folks will realize what went wrong and learn from your hasty mistake. thanks for posting the reality of bowmaking sometimes,and that not every project goes as planned...even tho we should build with a specific plan and intent.

can you not heat treat it and pick up enough weight to salvage it for a youngster?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 08:45:34 pm »
Shorten it, temper it and continue on. There doesnt appear to be any nasty hinge damage anywhere.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.