Author Topic: Mollegabet(ish)  (Read 13029 times)

Offline randman

Re: Mollegabet(ish)
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:12 am »
Bravo Egston! Nice job. and Good save. Bet she shoots real nice.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 05:26:33 am »
Good golly miss Molly!
Lookin' good EV, can't wait for the shoot report.
She will freak out those target archers with their bolt together contraptions.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 05:44:36 am »
Good job getting so far but for my tastes it's still a bit hingy out of the fades. The advice Blackhawk gave you is spot on. Once you get a feel for thickness tapers etc it's not too difficult to avoid hinges.
72 inch is plenty for a longbow they don't need to be 80 inchers!
Where do you live in England? If you don't want to go and cut yourself a stave I could probably help you out. There are plenty of places to get boards from in England but for some reason we aren't allowed to post external links on this site anymore. Try your friend google. If not pm me and i'll try to help.

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 07:29:02 am »
Thanks chaps...

>>still a bit hingy out of the fades.

Totally agree, but i was running out of wood for a usable draw weight and didn't go anywhere near these in my attempt to salvage a working bow. Have learnt and will hopefully do better with the next one (Mearheath methinks) :)

>>Where do you live in England?
Down south near Portsmouth - any help with wood etc. wuld be appreciated.
I've tried a couple of timber yards near me. One i have snaffled all the decent(ish) boards from their Ash stock and the other has no decent boards and i'm waiting for a new batch.

I've made conatct with a groundsman from a NT property but if you are close and can help then that would be great. I'll pop of a PM.

>>Del... Freak out
Yep, they are in for a shock at the club when i turn up Sunday 'skyclad' and covered in Woad! :)

Cheers
Ev
Nah, that'll be alright...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:32 am »
Nice save,I enjoyed the tale and watching the progress. :) Got to love it when a plan finely comes together.  :) Should be a shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dane

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 03:16:56 pm »
Nice job, but PLEASE do not post pictures of you sky clad. That is between you and your club only.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 06:13:47 pm »
Good effort , Von Brick... I like your humour... you must be English???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 07:31:00 pm »
>>but PLEASE do not post pictures of you sky clad.
Awww.. and i'd just mixed up a batch of Woad.

>>English
Indeed i am, is it that obvious? :)

One final pic to show the profile... from this picture (within my salubrious indoor shed) you can also see (shhh) the Megatron in the backround. The M would call this room something else i'm sure... but its amazing what a chap can get up to in an 8' sqaure box!
(i'm sure some chaps have 'sheds' bigger than my house... but i can dream)

Cheers
Ev

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 05:28:56 am »
I like the way the little green prickly fellah, bottom right is waving :laugh:
Tell him 'Hi from all at PA'
Del

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 11:44:20 am »
>>prickly fellah waving...

That's not his hand! 8o

:)

Wel... l am currently plinking away in the Garden (should be working, but its sunny and i have a new bow!)...

I can only manage a short draw at plastic plant pots on the grass and am trying to shoot a fair few arrows through her and work up to full draw before she gets used for real at the weekend.

Seems to work better than i had hoped for - the pots are actually worried for a change - and makes a modern-recurve  'PdoinG!' sound on release!

Not sure i like that but hey ho!

Cheers
Ev
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:03:34 am by egstonvonbrick »

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 01:13:42 am »
I think it turned out GREAT. Oh how I do love the look of a nice Mollegabet...yeah...was going to do something different on the next bow, but now I think I'll do one more molle before moving on... O:)

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 07:12:11 am »
>>was going to do something different on the next bow, but now I think I'll do one more molle...

Yep, after a stream on ELB's this was strangely addictive, i need to make another to put my 'learns' to good use and hopfully get to around mid 50#. (I also have some strange thoughts about making a bow from ancient tools - i did used to think i was born 500 years too late... but maybe that should have been 5000! :))

Also have plans for a Meare Heath bow...

...and not usually being one for any uneccessary frills am getting strange thoughts popping into my head about decorating a bow and need to swot up on ancient pigments (red oxide, black and white), mediums and how they are fixed else i'll be leaving a rusty trail behind me in the woods!

Will trawl the threads, but being lazy may start of a new thread. :)

Cheers
Ev

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 06:26:37 pm »
Some shots of the bow in use during a leisurely afternoon of shooting...

Sadly another splinter has lifted on the back of the bow... upper limb a couple of inches along from the binding...

So in a couple of weeks i''l have a patchwork of windings traipsing the length of the bow... can see why you chaps back them now..
Really must try this sometime! ;)

Performance wise... seems better than a similar weight longbow, but i was using my chunky traditional (Tudor-ish) arrows and would probably have performed noticeably better if i was using my 'target' arrows.

Please excuse my horrible 'form'... i think my bowyer skills have come on leaps and bounds in six months, sadly my archery skills haven't! :)

Oh, made my first linen string, lovely to work with compared to that plastic stuff, just needed a good dose of wax and seems no worse performance wise... although will see how durable it is.

Cheers
Ev

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »
I like that first pic, an unusual angle but it sort of gives an archers eye view.
You could try the old rawhide backing with hide glue, all very primitive and slimey and stinky...what more could you wish for?
Del
BTW. Nice Tudor breeks  ;D