Author Topic: Alright gun guys, help me pick a handgun  (Read 14023 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Alright gun guys, help me pick a handgun
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 04:34:43 pm »

All that said....  on duty,  I have carried a Glock .45 since 1994 and have nothing bad to say about it, except for the fact that it is a big gun that isn't easily concealed.   

Unconcealed has it's advantages too.  Something about it says you prefer to be left alone.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 05:05:06 pm »
Jonathan, lots of good opinions given so far, but IMO you did not yet answer 2 critical questions:
1. what will you be using it for, ie when will you be carrying it?
2. are you in a bad neighborhood, ie do you need 1 shot stopping or do you expect it to be mostly deterrent IF you ever have to draw it?

If it's primarily for when you're out running then I'd go with something small, thin, light - ruger lcp or kel-tec 380.  I used to run a lot back when my knees worked, I'm picturing a big gun banging against my hip/butt every step for 5 or 10 miles, I bet I'd end up leaving the gun at home after a while.    :)

FYI, I've been there -- I mean, asked "what gun should I buy for concealed carry?"  Over the years the answer has evolved into several different guns that I carry at different times (for different purposes):  a big revolver, a small revolver, a big semi auto (1911), and a small light semi auto (380).
hth.
I should know better.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 07:33:02 pm »
If it's primarily for when you're out running then I'd go with something small, thin, light - ruger lcp or kel-tec 380.

YES!!  I run with my Ruger LCP in my scrub pants pocket inside a Desantis pocket holster 3 times a week. I sewed a little snap button on the inside of the pocket to hold it in place so it wont shift while running. I forget it is there at times.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jeanette

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 10:53:11 pm »
Jonathan, finding a gun is like finding a bow you have to take in mind A) how it feels in you hand B) what you want to use it for C) you hand grip and strength ...not very meny women can shoot a desert eagle and a lot of men cannot shoot them either.
I carried a S&W 38 for over 40 yrs on my belt tried a Glock but it just did not feal right, a friend had a LLama 9mm I loved the way it felt but he would not sell it to me but then I found the Springfield XD it has a triple safety system (it will not fire unless you have a proper grip + it has a "flag" that lets you know if a shell is chambered) large clips, comes with adjustable grips, a belt holster (I do not use mine I am left handed) and it is SSSSWWWWEEET very little kick and light weight. You can easily mount a laser (if you are not use to shooting under stress I would recommend a laser).
When you get a gun PRACTICE and not just standing with a straight arm (on the range it is nice but under a street situation it rarely happens) practice shooting from you side elbow in arm close to body protecting the gun with you off hand. Practice shooting sitting on your butt if you get knocked down you want to be able to draw and fire and hit you target center mass. Practice drawing and firing from you hip if your hip is in line with your target you will hit lower center mass.
You may want to order a catalog called Quartermaster they have some nice holsters including the T shirt  conceal holster, the belly pack holster and so on.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 11:55:27 pm »
I like my .45 and I'm accurate with it. But since I got the LCP. 380 it is usually in the Jeep next to me on road trips. The LCP is on my hip for rest areas, and gas stations in the early morning hours, I don't even notice it.

I also think if you got in a wrestling, or knocked on the ground situation it would be easier to come out with it and put it on target, or shove it in somebodies body and start empting it then the .45. I also think if you found yourself in a scenario that you had to use the .380 it would more than likely be 4' or less.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
I'm partial to my Glocks.  I also like the 1911 frame pistols but, if I were to recommend one, I would suggest the Glock.  The difference in my mind is the ease in disassembly between the two.  A Glock breaks down very fast.  I can do it in less than 5 seconds with no special tools.  I feel that the easier a pistol is to break down, the more apt we are to keep it cleaned!  Whatever your decision, be religious about cleaning it!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 02:15:32 pm »
JC,
    been following the thread and ya got some good advise. If it helps, kinda like Mullet said.....don't overlook the .380 (Europe it's a 9mm Kurz). For what it's worth the .380 is an exactly scaled down 45 acp, not only designed by JB ....but a .380 with 1/2 powder charge is a particular favorite of the Israeli Mussad.....and they've killed a few people, so don't sell it short if ya want small.
rich

Offline Dane

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 07:42:09 pm »
Rich is right. We all tend to think bigger caliber is better, where as a smaller round, especially with hot loads, will put your enemy in the ground or take him out of commission. The 45 acp and the .40 S&W are great rounds, so are others, but a .38 special or 9mm are both highly effective. Smaller calibers means more time at the range for the average person, and probably more enjoyment which encourages someone to go the range more often.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 07:44:29 pm »
Also, consider the penetrating power of a given caliber. Shooting an innocent person, accidentally or not, will stay with you forever. And the liabilty can't be ignored, like it or not.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:05 pm »
Danes right, just watch your news for what's going on in Sanford, Fl. right now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »
Jonathan, lots of good opinions given so far, but IMO you did not yet answer 2 critical questions:
1. what will you be using it for, ie when will you be carrying it?
2. are you in a bad neighborhood, ie do you need 1 shot stopping or do you expect it to be mostly deterrent IF you ever have to draw it?

If it's primarily for when you're out running then I'd go with something small, thin, light - ruger lcp or kel-tec 380.  I used to run a lot back when my knees worked, I'm picturing a big gun banging against my hip/butt every step for 5 or 10 miles, I bet I'd end up leaving the gun at home after a while.    :)

FYI, I've been there -- I mean, asked "what gun should I buy for concealed carry?"  Over the years the answer has evolved into several different guns that I carry at different times (for different purposes):  a big revolver, a small revolver, a big semi auto (1911), and a small light semi auto (380).
hth.

1.  It'll be an everyday carry gun, but I want something small and out of the way.  I'd like to be able to carry while I run, or do other outdoor activities where a bigger gun might be a hinderance.

2.  My town's pretty quiet, but like anywhere else there are some meth heads and crack heads around.  I don't ever anticipate needing it, but I'd like to have the option if things ever escalated to that point.

I do my best to be situationally aware of everything around me.  Even when I'm running with ear buds in, they're turned down low and my head is on a swivel.  Also, I always run with my dog.  She's a big wuss, but I think the presence of one is enough to deter many would-be bad guys.  I'm not huge, but I'm not a small guy, either, at over 220 lbs., so I don't think I'd be a typical target for most 150 lb. crack heads.  Also, I've had formal fight training from a guy that ended up fighting in the UFC.  Not enough that I'd feel confident jumping into the ring, but if I ever needed it on the streets I know what to do.

I appreciate everybody helping out and giving advice.  I'm really leaning towards the Ruger, but I do want to shoot one first.  I think a guy I go to church with has one, so I might be able to go put a few rounds through his.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 07:37:14 pm »
I have 3 handguns that I CC. When the weather is coldish, I always have an untucked flannel type shirt on, and carry a standard 1911/45acp in a IWB holster. When it's warmer, or I don't want the weight, I carry a Polish P-64/9mm Makarov, also in an IWB holster or an FEG R61, in the same IWB holster.

the P-64 and R61 are both Walther PPK clones that shoot the more powerful 9mm mak. it's about half way between a 38acp and a 9mm.

These are not mine, but they are good comparison photos. the one on the left is a p-64 and the one on the right is an R61. You will have a difficult time finding an r61, took me years, but the P-64's can be picked up for less than $300.

Jamison

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 10:46:24 pm »
I think that is what my Bersa Thunder is modeled after.  Look exactly the same even the same "sweep up" safety.  Mine is .380 though.  Cost around 200 dollars used and i have put over 1200 rounds through it and never a hick-up or failure.  the Bersa's are way underrated I think.  :)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:49:57 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 11:10:59 pm »
wow, those do look a lot alike. It appears that the take down is different. on the ppk clones and traditional ppk, you have a hinged trigger guard that allows the slide to come off. That is standard on the Russian and east German makarov as well.

The safety on the two clones is completely different. they both have a block that rolls in front of the firring pin and the sear is disengaged, allowing the hammer to fall on the block when put onto safe, but the feg takes it a step farther and actually lowers the forward part of the firing pin below the firing pin hole, so it can't possibly go off while on safe.

oh, I didn't think of this earlier. If you want that two tone look and don't mind a half inch longer pistol, FEG makes the pa63 that is a Walther pp clone. they can be picked up for around the same price as the p64. I'm not sure if the pa63 has the same safety as the r61. Frankly, I don't have one to take apart and see.

Jamison
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:01 pm »
I also think if you got in a wrestling, or knocked on the ground situation it would be easier to come out with it and put it on target, or shove it in somebodies body and start empting it then the .45.

Mullet, I'm curious why you say that?
~Albert Einstein~