Author Topic: Alright gun guys, help me pick a handgun  (Read 14020 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Alright gun guys, help me pick a handgun
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:05:16 pm »
Just waiting for everything to be finalized and get my CCP.  I'd like to pick up something I can stick in my waistband comfortably and be reliable.  A friend of mine says he won't carry anything but a J-frame revolver, but I'm somewhat concerned about them printing.  I do a lot of running at night, so I'd like to be able to hide one under a t-shirt.  Do ya'll have any recommendations?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Alright gun guys, help me pick a handgun
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:12:28 pm »
Glock 17 and practice till you don't need the sights.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »
Gotta say Glock for drag through the mud reliability but I am kinda partial to my Ruger SR40  because of the higher grip angle and my Ruger LCP just because I can carry it in my pocket and no one knows it's there.  :)  The best thing you can do is go with a solid name brand like Ruger, Glock, H & K, or Smith and Wesson because they all stand behind their products and have excellent customer service.  Also go to a local gun store and handle a bunch of different ones to see which one fits YOUR hand the best... better yet find a gun range that rents guns to test shoot... 100 dollars spent test firing a bunch of different guns is not as much of a waste of money as sinking 400-700 dollars on a gun you cant consistently put rounds into the target with... Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »
I recently got a Kel-tec PF-9 and love it.  It is about the smallest 9mm semi auto out there.  I can put it in my front pocket and you would never know.  It is built for concealment, its less than in inch in width.  But, because of its size, its not the most comfortable shooting gun.  It's not bad at all, but its not as smooth to shoot as say a S&W M&P 9mm.  Since you are a larger framed person you might want to see how a smaller gun fits your hand. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:02:39 pm »
I like Glock, and own a couple, but someday would like a "lemon squeezer", not sure who makes it, but they are concealable and safe.  Glocks have no real safety, so I'd be careful w/ the whole waist band deal, I've done it many times, but that don't make it right.  ;) Another one I'd like is the Bond Arms "snake killer"(?) derringer, 45 cal and/or .410 in either barrel.  Man I'd like one of those babies.  I do agree w/ Josh though too about the range.  Good luck, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:19:27 pm »
When I don't have a jacket on I'm carrying a Ruger LCP. In the Winter I'll carry a 45 1911 Para-ordinance. The wife likes her Kel-Tec 380, I can't tell the difference between a Kel-Tec or the Ruger except price. And if you hear someone say a 380 isn't enough I've got a 10 round clip for mine. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:42:19 pm »
where did you get a 10 round magazine for the LCP Eddie??  I want one! :D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:53:47 pm »
     What the others said.  Plus, I personally like the .45acp, in the small frame sizes.  I have a Kimber ultra carry, and absolutely love it!  Any of the other small framed .45's and nine mm in that size, by Springfield, S&W Glock, Ruger,and other brands are fine also.  If you like 9mm's there are a bunch of choices to choose from.  The Kel Tec, Diamond Back, Khar Arms, Astra, Baretta, Taurus, Colt, S&W Ruger, and others.
The Ruger LC9 is compact, and thin.  I would reccomend a good hollow point bullet for whatever gun you choose.  Like Federal's Hydra Shock.  There are other brand and types that are effective also.  The Ruger LC9 is a double action auto, meaning, you have to pull the trigger in a double action mode, and when fired, it will "automatically" put another round in the chamber.  It the safest as far as pocket carry.  The only draw back to it that I have with it, is the long trigger pull.  Same with the LCP, in .380 acp.  I have a LCP in .380 acp, and it shoots very well for such a short barrel.  I have a Crimson Trace laser sight on it, not so much for sighting, but more as a psychological advantage.  The idea that you have a red, or green dot on you, kinda makes you think twice about life in general. ;) In a low light situation, it can put your barrel in the ball park. I carry the LCP, mostly, but still prefer the Kimber.  It depends on your financial situation, but try to buy a well known brand, that is know for RELIABILITY, and customer support.  When it comes to price, what is your life worth?  Or your family's?  By all means, when you finally select one, get an extra clip, or two, and PRACTICE with it at the range, and practice with it unloaded, by pulling it out from where ever you have it concealed, and be able to do it smoothly, and as unobtrusively as possible. If you can't do so, try another position. Practice often, even though you may be able to remove it quickly, and easily, you need it to be an automatic response when you need it, not having to think about it.  You may have it hidden, with no print, and feel quite comfortable with it, till you have to pull it, and the time to find out how fast, and smooth you can bring it into action, is not when you actually need it!  A lot of people carry a gun, and feel quite confident with it's location, till they have to use it, and in a life or death situation, fumbling around trying to get your cards on the table, when the bad guy already has his laid out, is not a good game to be in. ;) There are a lot of options for concealed holsters, and carry systems to choose from.  this is all "Just my humble opinion." :)

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 06:56:35 pm »

Josh, you can get them at the gun shows, or your local dealer should have them, or can order them for you, or you can go on line. ;)

Wayne

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:59:17 am »
Think about a revolver. No worries about a safety. You simply pull the trigger and down does the bad guy. In a defensive situation, you probably wont need high capacity, and the less you have to do the better. Five or six rounds is more than enough to hit your target center mass. But whatever you choose, be prepared to practice so much, the weapon is part of you. Scary to think of all the idiots who carry but have never even been to the range, and I have met a few. And find yoruself a good conceal holster and wear it until it is as natural as putting on your shoes and brushing your teeth. You may only have a split second to pull and fire, and fumbling can get you dead.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:36 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  The Glock 17 and Ruger LC9 were 2 of the ones I've looked at the  most.  I know a lot of people love Glocks, but there's something about sticking a gun with no safety in my britches that makes me a little uneasy.  I can't afford to go loosing anything there  ;D.

I've been really considering revolvers too, Dane, but I haven't checked out but a few.  There's a range pretty close to me that does rentals, or at least they did.  A guy used a rented gun to kill himself there a few months ago.  Not sure if their policy has changed any since then.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 11:19:07 am »
but there's something about sticking a gun with no safety in my britches that makes me a little uneasy.

I have seen more accidents with a Berreta 92F than with a glock or similar pistol. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 02:55:57 pm »
Jonathan, The Glocks do have a trigger safety, but I've always thought of the possibilities of  catching the trigger on something and having a miss fire.  Check out the "lemon squeezer", it's a hammerless revolver and has a good safety and is concealable.

If any of you have any info on the "lemon squeezer" and why not to get one, I'd like to hear it.  I've been thinking of getting one for the wife. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:19:07 pm »
Usually carry a Colt Combat Commander in .45, or a Para Ordnance Night Hog in .45.
Love my Bond Arms with the four inch barrel.

Got my wife the Taurus .357 Hammerless revolver and the KelTec .380.
Smith also makes a Hammerless .357 revolver at twice the price.

Like has been said, shoot a bunch of different handguns and see which one fits you and hits where you look.

Only thing I would say on top is go Stainless if you can.
Just one less thing to worry about.

For home defence you can't beat a Shotgun for inside and close around the house.
For medium to long range around the house, I go with an AR and an M1A respectively.

In the end PRACTICE REGULARY with your weapons of choice.
Until you don't have to think about form or function.
When the chips are down you don't want to be stuck out thinking about how your weapon works.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 07:23:49 pm »
Like Gus & For what it's worth, spent 20 in a big city PD....carried a 1911-A-1 single stack for duty and off. most the other guys liked the Combat Commander for both...all single stacks, and some guys would get the 8 round wilson combat or similiar magazines.

Personally I prefer the flat mainspring housing instead of the arched, also went with a Wolf spring kit and a 18# recoil spring. If you are going to reload you might consider "porting" the slide. If you accidentally shoot your self with a 1911 ya really got to work at it. Like Dane said get to know your equipment like it's part of ya.....hope you never need it, if you do, dont be afraid to use it.
rich