Author Topic: sassafras stave question  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Adam

sassafras stave question
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:09 pm »
Hello all,
I'm currently working on a sassafras stave that was given to me.  I've only dealt with hickory and osage before, and am a relative beginner, so I'm looking for some wise advise  ;).  So far, I've just removed the bark and chased a ring on the back.  I'm planning on backing it with linen, which many of you have already answered my questions about.  I'd like to make this primarily a target bow, so draw weight is not too important.  In fact, my shooting form isn't so good, so lower weight might be better!

The stave is 82" long and naturally reflexed, so I have plenty to work with.  The ends are about 2 1/2" wide currently.

There is about a 20-30 degree gradual twist from one end of the stave to the other.  Should I use dry heat or steam to try to straighten it, or just ignore it?

The back has much more crowned than previous staves I've used.  Should I decrown it?  I've never tried that before.

Should I try for a flatbow profile, or more oval/D longbow style cross section?

Thanks for the help!

Offline Bevan R.

Re: sassafras stave question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:30:18 pm »
I would make it about 72" long. Pyramid profile but stiff handle. Wide at the fades (maybe st much as 2") and straight taper to narrow tips. This will leave your limbs thinner and bending easier.
If the stave is dry, I would heat straighten it AFTER you get the bow floor tillered at least.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:17:54 am »
  You might not want mess with the stwist. SASSAFRAS REALLY WARPS go if you heat it can warp more if your not carefull. I if you over heat you will get checks.
 BEVANS right on with the pyramid. 72"s Is really long for me. I'd keep it 2 inchs at the fads 64,66 LONG good for a pyramid at 2"s this will not add to much stess on your limbs up tp 50#'syou'd likely be ok at 55#'s as long as your tillers on.
  GO SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW TILLERING
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:36 pm »
Bevan and crooketarrow - Thanks for the input!  Do I need to do anything to the back since it's so crowned, or is it ok the way it is?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »
It will be fine. When you get your bow roughed out, it will not looks so crowned.
I like a longer bow, especially for target like you were mentioning. They seem smoother, more stable. Also longer puts less stress on the belly. Sassafras is not the most dense stuff there is.
A linen or rawhide backing would not hurt at all.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:38:14 pm »
Cool. Thanks!  I'll get some pictures posted when I've made a little more progress.