Author Topic: 1st bow quick start?  (Read 3824 times)

justinater

1st bow quick start?
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:02:28 pm »
Hi all I'm new to this board and bow making. I ordered the bow makers bible and am hoping that will tell me what I need to know to make a bow.

Anyways I'm really excited to make a bow. but from my understanding it takes a year to dry the wood right? What do you recommend to get started a little faster? I was kind of hoping to not have to make a board bow.

A little bit about me... I'm 27, and I live in Louisiana. I like to say I'm about intermediate in working with wood. I've built two kayaks, one from a kit and one from scratch but pretty much all I know is stuff I've taught myself.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 1st bow quick start?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:19:12 pm »
Whitewood trees can be cut, peeled, split, roughed out to bow dimensions and left alone for 4-5 weeks somewhere dry. They will be ready by then.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

justinater

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:21:25 pm »
awesome, I know we have allot of white oak around here. I could probably even find some that are dead but haven't rotted yet.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:08 pm »
NO DEAD STUFF. Stay away from oak if you can. Look for any of the elm's, any of the hickories, hackberry.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 04:31:00 pm »
you can buy a stave or trade for one, but dont designate a board bow as a second rate bow, a fine bow can be made with a board, and they give inexpensive tillering lessons for a beginning bowyer, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

justinater

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:04:15 pm »
sounds like some good advice. thanks.@ both. practice tillering on a board bow... yeah I guess I wouldn't mind doing that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:15:33 pm »
Check out George Tsoukalas' website(at the top of the "How To" page). George has everything you will need to know to get started.  Buying a red oak or hickory board from Home Depot, Lowes or a local lumber company is the quickest way to start. Georges site has info for what to look for when selecting a board to build a bow with.
  Also, ask any questions you may have right here on PA. Lots of informed cbowyers here to help you get started.

Oh yeah!  Welcome to Primitive Archer website!
Also, please read over the rules to the website.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:54:24 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 05:29:25 pm »
once ya get one under your belt, your hooked man >:Dgood luck and wellcome to the addiction, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »
I think its all good advise youv'e been given. I would you a good hickory board or two as well as begin the harvest whatever bow wood that is in your area and get it processed and begin to cure. That way, when you are ready to work a stave into a bow you have some. Welcome and beware.......this is very addicting. But no worries, you will get plenty of help on here.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »
Welcome to PA, from one newbie to another!! I have been on here for a few months and during that time have made several board bows. So far only red oak and hickory... (the hickory was more forgiving) and I would like to try some hard maple. I ran across some crepe myrtle that I will cut for staves this weekend. The boards have really been helpful to me in my tillering skills and I have a few lighter weight bows that are shootable so far. I also glued up a hickory backed ipe this past weekend. Good luck. It's great fun and verrrryyy addicting.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »
Don't rush for a quick start, take your time. You will never forget your first bow, just try to make I a pleasant memory ;). I am still working on my first too and you want to have. Backup in case #1 fails so you don't have to start from scratch.
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 07:28:01 am »
Welcome ,like others have said don't rush,white wood are quicker to dry but do be sure they are dry or it will only disappoint. You could always trade for some seasoned. Good luck and keep us updated.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »
Welcome to PA !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 04:05:48 pm »
Welcome to Primitive Archer. Making bows is fun but you have to be careful not to become obsessed.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:54:51 am »
Welcome to Primitive Archer. Making bows is fun but you have to be careful not to become obsessed.  '  Frank

....like everyone else in here!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.