Author Topic: BL fretting and how to prevent it  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

BL fretting and how to prevent it
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:57:55 pm »
I have a bunch of black locust staves I split a year ago from October. I have never used BL before. I tried to make a self bow out of this past fall and it chrysaled somethin aweful! I thought the bow was tillered pretty well and it was a full 70" tip to tip so I'm not sure what happened. My thoughts were that maybe the moisture content was still to high, bow to narrow(1 1/2 pyramid), or because I didn't heat treat the belly. I was thinking of trying again but don't want it to happen again. Any ideas guys?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: BL fretting and how to prevent it
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:26:39 pm »
Locust is one of the strongest in compression woods in North America but it is brittle. That is why it frets so easily. A fret occurs when one area is working harder than the surounding wood. Dry wood, a flat belly, not over stressing the wood while you build the bow and having limbs that are wide enough(1 1/2" min) and long enough so you don't over stress the wood.
  Check out George's website. He works a lot of locust or at least he used to.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 07:04:23 pm »
if you cut it in oct. then tried to make a bow a month or two later without properly drying it quickly,then id say your wood was too wet for sure.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:12:37 pm »
I have not done a lot of Locust but the ones I did were 1 3/4" for about half the limb length then tapered to the tips
there is some crown on the back and I do a flat belly so the edges look very thin about 1/4 " the limb is about 3/8 " total thickness 
I hope that helps you !
I shoot  50lbs @28"
I was told by many old timers that they had given up on Locust because of it chrysaling ,so you are not the only one to struggle with it!
Biased on what they told me that's why I stayed wider and thinner !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:47 am »
  I have had mixed luck with locust, I think it varies quite a bit in it's properties from tree to tree. I do believe it works better when pretty dry. I don't buy locust anymore because of the chysaling but I really look forward to working on one when someone gives me a stave. Beautiful wood when everthing goes right.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:34:12 am »
  but I really look forward to working on one when someone gives me a stave. Beautiful wood when everthing goes right.

Badger is that a hint?  :)  Are you going to be at the Classis?  I have 2 or 3 BL staves that are 2 years old.  They are not the cleanest, they have some twist and dips.  But, if you're interested I could bring you one.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:38 am »
Thanks guys! Black hawk I let it dry a year split with bark on before I started.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:49 am »
  Dave, I sure would not turn you down. I would even give it back to you when I left. No guarantee on the outcome though! When I went to mojam I bought a 1/4 log for $20.00 I think. Took me a few days to
draw knife all the wood and I ended up with one chysal in each limb, shot ok but once chrsaled they are really junk.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:14:22 am »
The only locust I've worked is NH locust. I think it is pretty good stuff and I do think there are regional differences. I learned bow making on the stuff. It'll teach you. I like 1 3/4 wide. Double your draw and add at least 20% depending on the stave's condition. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:07:59 pm »
I agree with what the others have said.
Personally I really rate the stuff and wish I could get more.
One of the fastest bows i've made was from b.locust it's also one of my most strained bows. 61 inches ntn, 6 inches of each limb are re-curved, 8 inch handle/fades and they are mostly 1 7/8ths wide. 20 1/2 inches of working limb and 55lbs @ 27
You must be really careful when tillering to make absolutely sure you have no weak areas and the limbs are evenly matched (just like any bow.... :)) ,locust won't chrysal if you get everything right. I love it because it gives you nowhere to hide unlike some other woods like osage. ;)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:00:10 pm »
I'm curious how those of you who use it alot store BL.  When I tried it, I left the bark on and split out the staves.  Can you remove the sapwood green, like osage, or is that not advisable?  I'm planning to try reducing some to near finished dimensions green, then clamping them to a form to dry, like I do with whitewoods.  Will that work as well?

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:24:54 pm »
Yes, you can remove bark and sapwood. Seal the back. I never do it. Too lazy. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:00:59 am »
Badger, that's a very generous offer.  I will bring a seasoned BL stave to the Classic for you.  I've been wanting to cut another locust or 2 on the farm.  I will do my level best to make that happen, so I bring another stave to take home and season.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw