Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle staves galore!!  (Read 5553 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Crepe Myrtle staves galore!!
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:54:55 am »
They were doing spring pruning in my neighborhood the other day. I'm still learning my trees, so I stopped and took some pics of some of the prunings and the trees they came from. You may remember I asked about Bradford Pears a few days ago. My neighborhood has many Bradford Pears and, as it turns out, Crepe Myrtles. Here is a pic of a typical BP..

Here is a crepe myrtle, at least that's what I was told.

As I came through the neighborhood, the other day, this is what I saw...

More...

Here is a BP missing a big limb...

Guess what? Normally the city in which I live takes weeks to get out and clean up the prunings. By the time I checked on this web site and other sources about whether these would be good bow woods, the city had already cleaned them up? Should I be sick? Do you guys see anything I missed of value?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:42:25 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: staves?? Should I be sick?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:59:14 am »
Too late now I wouldnt let it bother ya now ;)
 ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:24:33 am »
I agree with Josh. Let it go man 8)

BUT since you asked, look up Ken75 crepe myrtle bows. Looks to be 30 plus CM bows just in that pile.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:25:50 am »
Unless you can go to where they took this"debris" you are out of luck. Any of either that is 2" diameter or better and 3' long can make bows. There are other yards with bow wood that is being "pruned" now and chipped up if you aren't vigil. Have a hand saw handy in your vehicle and a hank or rope to tie your prize the roof if needed. He who hesitates looses!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:13:07 am »
I halfway expected you all to tell me nothing looked good in the piles I missed. I can't believe I didn't grab a few straighter limbs just in case. While I am disappointed, at least now I know to be watching this time next year for the spring trimming!! Thanks for the feedback.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:44 am »
no way you should see what the forest service does here in oregon...i have watched them hog out patched of vine maple to clear the sides of roads....and with a hog you cant save any thing...john

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:39 am »
Always take the wood first then ask questions later.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:18:09 pm »
I agree with Dwardo. When in doubt do it and if it turns out to be junk then its fuel for the fire. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:28:25 pm »
 I see no reason not to go through the piles now. Save what you can.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: staves?? Should I be sick? Update!! Sick no longer!!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:55 pm »
I ran into the landscape supervisor a few minutes ago and told him my dilemma. He was surprised that crepe myrtle makes good bows. He laughed at how many he has cut down and pruned over the years. He asked me if I knew where the vacant lot in the back of the development was. I said yes. He said there were a few tall, straight crepe myrtles on that lot that he was probably going to cut down, and that I could harvest any that I wanted. I just rode by and they are straight and tall. I'll probably cut them this weekend. What is the best way to care for them and how long should they dry?If any you out there have some feedback, I would appreciate it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:41:46 pm »
You should PM Ken75.  He makes some amazing CM bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:50:45 pm »
I just pm'd Ken75. I am really excited. Finally some staves to work on. I hope I don't have to let them dry for a year or something...

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 03:57:12 pm »
lesken , on crepe myrtle anything 1 1/4 diameter or larger will work a lil wiggle wont matter as long as you can line the tips up. i usually cut long and then hold the stave behind my shop door jam till i see where and how to line the tips.seal the ends and reduce to whatever you can on small dia . larger stuff 1 1/2 wide full length and thin to 3/4 inch . its important to not narrow your tips till its dry , cm will warp sideways if narrowed. stick it in your car or truck for two weeks , then floor tiller and move inside for a week or so . should be good to go after that

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 04:10:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, Ken. A few more questions or clarifications... When you say thin to 3/4 in, do you mean from belly to back? Do you handle this like a normal stave as far as splitting, debarking, chasing a ring, etc.? Should I strap them to anything to dry with a reflex?

Kenny

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:17:20 pm »
Cool Thread!

I'm liking CM.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX