Author Topic: I think, for the time being, I'm done with boards for bows.  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Sempertiger

I think, for the time being, I'm done with boards for bows.
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:02:16 am »
I'm not saying that boards are bad, just that I have had bad luck with them. I've put together half a dozen hunting weight board bows, mostly Red Oak, and have had all of them break in some way or form. I think the issue is that in looking for good boards, I'm finding wood that is close to good bow wood, but just isn't quite good enough. The wood I do find, I put aside, then continue going through the stacks. After I've seen everything, I get the best one or two boards and take them home. So far, with the exception of a Merbau bow I've made, they raise a significant splinter, usually under the backing. I try to fix them with a bit of super glue and wrap them with hemp or jute. A day later, after the glue has dried, they break.

I'm going to continue to look for boards but I'm only getting boards that I'm sure are good. In the mean time, I think I'm going to pick up a stave or two of some good straight bow wood and see if it's me or the wood. If it's me, the stave bow will break again. If it's the wood, then the bow will survive.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good wood to try out on? I'm thinking that if I get a green stave, I'll rough it out then let it dry out for a few weeks, or until it reaches equilibrium with my area. I know it's a lot harder to work with, but I was thinking about picking up some Osage, since it seems like it's everywhere for sale. I do plan on gathering around here, but I'm waiting on a permit so I can be legal.

Here is my latest issue:

JS
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: I think, for the time being, I'm done with boards for bows.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:32:44 am »
I feel your pain :'( I had a lot of the same problems with red oak. I rarely use it now, unless I can find quarter sawn boards. I like Hickory, ash, and maple, but maple likes to twist. Not sure if thats me causing the twist or not. I also like a lot of the exotic woods. As far as the bow pictured goes, it seems like your fade is really short, with a really wide limb. I like making bendy handle bows, I found that I started breaking a lot less bows with a working handle. And they tend to be a little lighter, less mass that is, not lighter poundage. I hope that helps some. Good luck my friend!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:03 am »
I agree with TD. I still use red oak some on lighter bows, but I really prefer hickory for heavier bows and as a backing material. It is a very forgiving wood. I haven't tried ash or hard maple yet, but I just did a glue up of hickory backed ipe. I hate to see you give up on boards, but if I had a good source for staves, I probably would make that move too.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:07:52 am »
Believe it or not, red oak is one of the better woods I have available. The local store has oak, teak, alder, purple heart, maple, cherry, poplar, walnut and birch. Except for the oak, the store hasn't had any new boards in the other woods in three months.  There just isn't a lot of turnover. I've never seen anything quarter sawn.
~Albert Einstein~

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:45 am »
You better be careful saying you dont have any bow wood on here, you might come home to find you dont have room for what shows up at your door...Where abouts are you?
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:39:14 am »
Pm'd
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:41 am »
Make your fades longer and more gradual. An abrupt transition like that is asking for trouble.
Gordon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:41:49 am »
Avoid oak.

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:59:44 am »
Where abouts are you?

Juneau Alaska

I should be able to find some bow wood locally, there's still way too much snow on the ground to get into the high country to get some good dense spruce or AYC. there is probably between 10 and 15 feet of snow at treeline and probably more. We got a truck load of snow in the mountains this year. I know of a few areas near here, where the company I work for has equipment, that have more than 30 feet of snow below treeline. Most likely, I won't have access to it till early to mid June. In May, I'm going to do some trecking around on the beaches and see if I can find some of the hardwoods on my list, but except for spruce and AYC, i'm not familar with the bark enough to identify a tree without looking at the leaves. I might try to get into some elevation bird hunting this spring, but it depends on how fast the snow melts.

It's really too bad that Alder isn't a good bow wood. There is sooooo much straight wood locally. My wife, daughter and I took a drive and I lost count on how many pieces I would have cut, if it was worth my time. I might give it a try in the mean time anyway. the worst that can happen is I use it to smoke some fish or meat, if it doesn't work. I could cut some test samples out of a log and have solid SG and SBT results in a week. 1/2" square pieces of wood can be dried fast.

Bryce, Pm'd back

Make your fades longer and more gradual. An abrupt transition like that is asking for trouble.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that with my next one. I'm curious, How much longer should I make my fades? from the widest part of the limb to the end of the fade is ~ 1/2 inch. should I double that or more?

JS
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:43:25 am »
Gordon nailed the problem. Your fades should be at least an 1 1/2". There is nothing wrong with oak.  There have been way to many fine board bows made over the years to discount it.  IMHO white oak is a little better than red oak, but I have made some fine bows from both. Lengthen your fades and you should have a lot better result.  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 07:31:36 am »
Gun Doc is right, and with the right board red oak is fine, but white oak is dang near bullit proof, hickory is tough as nails too, on my pyramid's i've gone to a 2 1/2" fade, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:56 am »
What Gordon said, :)got no choice but to break when it bends at the fad where you make the transition and violate the longitudinal grain. :) I don't do board bows
 [no real reason just have plenty of staves] but a stave bow will break also if you do that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:47:11 pm »
Made that mistake once on an osage stave that was a bit snakey right out of the fades. Got it to about 22" and was looking good and then"pop". It did'nt totally break in half but it was ruined for sure. Learned a good lesson there.
 I make my bows in the 58-62" range. Stiff handlesd. On bows of 50-60lbs I make my fades 1 3/8" wide and 2" long so as to provide a smooth transition and not concnentrate the pressure there. .
I also was thinking that if you were making your fades wider than you might want to make them longer. I'm not sure what a good width to length ratio is but since most of my bows are osage 1 3/8" at the fades and fades 2" long from a 1" handle width, I would say that a reasonable assumption could be made to make your fade length 30% longer than the width and it should be ok. There are many variables of course and many styles that work. Thats jsut what I have become comfortable with.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline jimmy

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 01:30:37 pm »
I've made a few board bows just for kicks. Good quartersawn maple, in my opinion, is the way to go with boards, unless you can get hickory. Grain lines (and proper fades) are everything when it comes to board bows.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:50 pm »
Consider forgetting about glued on handles. As Gordon  alluded, those builds are a bit difficult. The wood you used looks pretty good. It is just that fade area is tough to get right.  Looks like you were bending in the handle area. My site has info. Also, don't narrow the handle leave it full width. Go with 1 3/8 inches. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!