Author Topic: Lessons learned on a hickory backed red oak (some bow pics)  (Read 1626 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Lessons learned on a hickory backed red oak (some bow pics)
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:14:23 am »
I learned more about making bows on this one. Thought you folks might get a kick out of it. I made this hickory backed red oak bow. It is 66"ttt with a mahogany handle. My backing strip was only 57" long and which left the tips with no back, so I added red oak strips to level it out since the tips don't bend that much. Not sure what the # is now. You'll know why soon. Here is a pic of the bow braced.

Here is a pic of the end. I was waiting for final tillering and finishing before a put a wrap around the area where the backings meet near the tips.

Here is a profile...

String line up...

Another view of the tip.

Now for the bad news. When I pulled the bow to about 15", I noticed a slight hinge near the handle fade. After scraping....and scraping....and scraping, I got it evened out. Guess what? Now the other limb needed work.....scrape, scrape, scrape...(I love the new scraper I got from Woodcraft). By the time I got the other limb even, the bow was down to 30#.

Now for the good news.

I was standing at the door of the garage (my shop) trying to decide whether I should try to pike the bow to pick up some weight, when my little 11 year old neighbor came over and asked if I was making another bow. I told him I was, and measured the bow up next to him and it was almost exactly his height. I told him to try to pull it back. As he got it to full draw, he had a little quiver in his arm. By the time I finish sanding it and shooting it in. It should be perfect for him. I didn't tell him he was getting it, but, if his dad doesn't mind, I will probably finish it up for him. I should have checked his draw length (he'll need some arrows)

When I get it finished up. I'll get a pic of him at full draw for yall. Man this is fun stuff!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:43:39 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Lessons learned on a hickory backed red oak (some bow pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:17:34 am »
One more thing. I forgot to tell you why I think I had the problem to start with. I think it was poor design. The limbs were parallel to 9" then tapered to the tip. I should have started the taper closer to mid limb. I think I would have had more bend closer to the handle which may have taken some of the pressure off the handle fade. Does that sound right?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:32 am »
Very cool, giving kids bows like that can hook em for life, great job. And if a bow does come
In Light like that and you don't want to back it you just give it to a kid, sometimes the
Best solutions are so simple.
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:16:00 am »
Yeah. You should have seen the look on his face, eyeing that bow. He was really drooling. I can't wait to finish it up for him.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:21:26 pm »
Cool Kenny. I think that is planting good seed in obviously fertile ground. Just be prepared to make Dad one so he can shoot with junior.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:16:56 pm »
I saw his dad today, but didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. You're right, though, He will probably want one, his daughter, and maybe even the wife. Looks like I'll be busy.