Author Topic: grain on backed bows  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Eagle Boyer

grain on backed bows
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:26 pm »
for a bow backed with boo, hickory, or something how important is having straight grain for the belly and/or core?  And how do knots affect the belly and core?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: grain on backed bows
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:10 pm »
Welcome to PA Eagle!! Well, from my experience, when backing with boo or hickory, or something of that sort, the grain can be less than perfect. I just try to steer clear of knots all together, way past my experience level ;). I'm sure somebody will chime in with more experience.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:21:58 pm »
I don't want to hijack this thread, but would like to expand on the OP's question by bringing up a specific wood.

EB, If you want, I am more than willing to delete this and start a new thread.

IPE isn't available locally, but I can order it. Is the grain typically straight enough to make a boo backed bow without worying about ordering enough boards to get a single good one?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:33:21 am »
A belly or core wood can be less than perfect, grain wise. You still need to avoid knots at all times. Some slight grain run off is not a big deal, but the grain needs to be at least "reasonably straight". Don't expect a backing will hold everything and anything together...

Semper, don't order wood. We bowyers are way too picky: we must choose our own wood, without being depending on what others choose for us.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Eagle Boyer

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:03:04 pm »
the reason I ask is because I have a yew stave with a couple of knots and no suitable sapwood and no area (with my skill level) that I can use for a back.  so what I kinda mean is can I use bamboo replace the sapwood?  and then just work around the knots as I would normally?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:23:32 pm »
Put rawhide over it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eagle Boyer

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »
so then is it ok to put rawhide over the knots?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:18:55 pm »
Yes, it is! It'll follow the undulations on the back very nicely.

Heck, you could even chase a heartwood ring :) Sapwood is better for a yew selfbow, but even the heartwood will make a good back for a yew bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:21:28 pm »
Rawhide may not be hyper primitive, but it sure holds any and all problems down. Its great stuff on backs that are less than nice. I like Titebond III for rawhide. Be sure the knots are all sanded and rounded down nicely prior to glue up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eagle Boyer

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:11:16 pm »
any ideas where I could get bow worthy rawhide from?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:18:50 pm »
Any archery supplier can help there. Try posting an ad in the trading post section.