Author Topic: How narrow can osage go?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline k-hat

How narrow can osage go?
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:18:11 am »
Can i get a decent bow out of an inch of width?  The stave i'm looking at has plenty of thickness, about 60" long, but an inch max on the width.  Maybe a D-cross section?  I just hate to let this little bugger sit doing nothing :)   sorry if my osage ignorance is showing too much here ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: How narrow can osage go?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:50 am »
There is no limit Kevin. The only limit you will hit is draw weight.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:28:29 am »
my hunting bow is 1 inch wide, 60 inches long. it pulls 65 pounds at 27 inch draw. there are pictures of it in the hunting section. it does not bend in the handle either. it has taken on about 1 inch of set, but i think it's only because i did not tiller it to bend enough in the inner limbs. but at 65 pounds it has no effect on speed. osage can sure take a lot and give you what you need.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:59 am »
Thanks guys, that's what i was hoping to hear!  I kinda figured, but wanted to be sure before i went after it.  I'm used to whitewoods, so having this miracle-working wood is new territory :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:20 am »
  I've made them down to 3/4's with 68" lenth @57 #'s. Remember you have to add leanth the narrower you go if you don't want to have string follow.
  For a 60"stave I keep it at least 1 1/4 ,1 3/8's be better. Not to have any string follow.
 I keep all my bows around 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 depending on the lenth and weight. I thrive to have no string follow so I like to keep my bows to the wide side.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »
I have seen Jimmys bow and its a real shooter and meat maker. I believe he has taken several deer with it as well. It is amazing how narrow a bow yo ucan make with osage and still get hunting weights out of it.  Most of mine are around 1 1/4 - 1 3/8, but 1 " will do just fine.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God