Author Topic: Tree ID please  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Ian.

Tree ID please
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:30 pm »
Hi Everyone

My neighbour was cutting these down for firewood so I thought I would rescue them, I mostly make laminate board bows so I'm not the best with tree ID's, any ideas?

Thanks

Ian
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Tree ID please
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »
Any pictures of the end grain? Leaves? Twigs? Buds? Shriveled fruits? Anything else...?! Just some bark is nearly impossible to ID. Especially considering I have no clue where you live on this planet.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Ian.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54:28 pm »
Sorry for the lack of information. I'm in the UK, afraid I have no leaves or buds it would have made things easier.
If its not possible to ID them from this then don't worry, I will make them and see what happens.

Top picture corresponds to the top picture in the previous post.

ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:38 pm »
The 2nd pic with the corky ridges looks kind of like Hackberry or Sugarberry(Celtis). My book shows 2 American Varieties and one Japasnese variety. Hackberry makes a good bow from what I've heard.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:04:35 am »
I'm guessing those are two different logs, possibly from two different species, right?
At least they look like two different species. Hard to identify for me. Because they were taken from a garden, they might be planted some time ago. That means they may not even be native, but exotic. So the list of possible species can hardly be narrowed down. Perhaps your neightbour remembers what species they are...?

If I have to make a guess...
I'd say the first one may be some type of poplar or willow. Not so much bowwood, I'm afraid...is the wood hard or soft? Any particular smell? Poplar can have a slight unpleasant smell.
The second one looks better, but I really can't identify it. The rings look somewhat like elm, but the bark does not.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:15:11 am »
That's Hackberry.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:32:44 am »
Thanks everyone its nice to have something to work on.  The trees were planed 14 years ago by a previous neighbour, it was all random and they kept everything natural.

The two images are different trees, the top picture of both posts is one, the bottom pictures of the posts is the other.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:44:13 am »
Does not look like any of our "not so good" bow wood natives so certainly worth a shot!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:05 am »
Well, if you "toast" a piece and it smells like buttered popcorn, you'll know if it's hackberry.
1’—>1’

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:43 pm »
  Thats differntly sugarberry bark like what we have in WV.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING