Author Topic: Elm tree id?  (Read 4904 times)

Offline okie64

Elm tree id?
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:43 pm »
Anybody know what kinda elm tree this is? I would like to try out some elm and there are 4 of these growing really straight that I was thinkin about cuttin for bow wood. I thought it was winged elm but none of the branches or twigs have the little corky ridges on them. The pic of the leaves was taken today so they arent full grown yet but if I remember right from last summer the leaves werent very big even when full grown.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Elm tree id?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:48:17 pm »
My guess is American, but quite frankly elm is elm. Cut that sumgun down and send half to me stat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »
Slippery Elm will have a slight licorice kinda smell to the inner bark. Slippery leaves will be a little more "pointy" on the end than American. Either way if it is straight cut it.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:23:32 pm »
Yeah elm is elm cut some for me too!!!!   LOL
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:31:37 pm »
I agree,it sure looks like American elm. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:16:32 am »
Good enough. Theyre comin down asap. I got a hankerin to build an elm bow.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 12:45:54 pm »
  IT'S SLIPPERY ELM I've cut a few of them. JON is right SLIPPERY leaves are more pointed and not a oval as other elms. Saying elms elm is like saying hickorys hickory. Woud you say that I think not. There are differences. All elms are good bow woods WHYICH,RED THEN SLIPPERY in that order those are the only 2 I have exsperance with. Some people conceder RED AND SLIPPERY the same. There close in in bow woods.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:28:03 pm »
I always thought red and slippery were the same.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:16:09 pm »
Slippery elm and Red elm are one and the same.  Ulmus rubra
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline okie64

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 05:36:56 pm »
Went and cut one of the elms down yesterday. Bark didnt come off nearly as easy as I hoped it would and it was a beast to split this stuff but got her done nonetheless. The tree was pretty much white sapwood all the way through with no heartwood. Heres what I ended up with.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »
Man if I removed that much bark in a day I'd be hospitalized!!!

Good lookin stuff Jamey :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:21 pm »
maybe it's just me....or   since the leave still look early,   but the bases seem pretty symmetrical which is an indicator of hop hornbeam, where elm leaves look very much the same except the base is lobed, one side larger than the other..???
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:48:15 pm »
You may be on to something there... the leaves are a bit early and the bark does remind me of hophornbeam. It seems like the bark is scaling and not as interlocking as american elm. Did you see any flowers on the tree? either way its good bow wood.
Quebec, Canada

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 10:59:43 pm »
I just figured it was too big for hhb. These trees are about 14" diameter at chest height. The bark didnt really look like hhb to me, but then again Ive never seen one that big before so I guess it could be. There are 3 other trees that are identical to this one so I'll go back and check them out. Either way Im happy.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:26:47 am »
maybe it's just me....or   since the leave still look early,   but the bases seem pretty symmetrical which is an indicator of hop hornbeam, where elm leaves look very much the same except the base is lobed, one side larger than the other..???

Holy crap, never knew that. Thanks! The bark looks like elm to me, or what I think is elm. Like a cork elm almost. I think I might have a bunch of hop hornbeam around here which I know now due to you.  :laugh: I cut a sapling last year which I thought was a elm, it was very hard and dense. I could not put a mark in the bare wood with my fingernails for the life of me, it was very hard. I debarked it and sealed the ends, but in a couple hours after doing that the thing blew up from the inside out with checking cracks, it sucked really. Does this sound like hop hornbeam?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair