Author Topic: newbie here  (Read 4300 times)

Offline bbs383ci

newbie here
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »
hiyall, i have never knapped or even tried too, but i am wanting to kill a deer with a rock point, so i thought man ill look for some heads on the internet and haft them so a wooden shaft, for a head for hunting they are expensive so i thought maybe i could try to make my own, but i have no idea where to start, what i need, or anything. i found this site a couple of months ago and joined to get some help with building selfbow i have 3 in the making right now, so while im doing that i thought i would get some information about knapping.  can yall suggest some things i need and where to get them or if i can make them myself.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: newbie here
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:38:31 pm »
welcome bbs383ci, you should be able to find everything you want here and on youtube.  allergichobbit and paleoplanet are a couple from youtube.  you can search on here for knapping tools to find pics.  you'll be able to make most everything you need.  some copper grounding wire, couple of broom stick pcs. maybe 8" and 21".  boppers are a little more complicated to make, but not bad.  lots of guys use antler and antler billets.  I can get a starter set made for you if you're into a trade.  PM me if interested and by all means, search these knapping pages for all the info you can.  good luck and have fun, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:54:52 pm »
Your in the best site for info. Were all family here all information all the time , oohhh is that CNN? Anyhow were all here to help. Heck I'd swap a few for some goooooood rock.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »
Addiction, passion, obsession? Careful where ya step - when you start knapping you may never put it down :). Watch some utubes, maybe buy a book online. Would be best to find a knapin or knapper in your area and get with em.. and of course visit here often.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bbs383ci

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:39:03 pm »
thanks guys ill do some looking around.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:44:27 pm »
Hey man we're in the same boat.  Made some bows, starting some arrows, and wanting to start flintknapping.  I've been watching videos by alergic hobbit on YT which really blow me away.  He suggested I post looking for a "Knap-in" in my area which I'm planning to do.  I guess knappers get together occasionaly and have a workshop.  Nothing like learning in person.  Best of luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »
AllergicHobbit is jackcrafty on here.  I learned to knap from him and hope to break some rock with him again in about a month.  I would guess that you learn about 10 times as fast sitting with a teacher than you do with youtube.  Cowboy is right, I think knapping is much more addictive than making bows.  I can work on a bow and then put it down for a month, but I can't stay away from the rock for more than a couple days.  It's crazy.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:00:42 am »
Welcome! Warning, we are ALL enablers.
You might give a general area where you are located. I bet someone is in (or knows someone in) your area.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:54:46 am »
but I can't stay away from the rock for more than a couple days.  It's crazy.

George

Yeah, same here.  If I am not breaking rocks, I am thinking about breaking rocks. 8)
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bbs383ci

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:54:15 pm »
Welcome! Warning, we are ALL enablers.
You might give a general area where you are located. I bet someone is in (or knows someone in) your area.

i am in orange, tx.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:06:13 pm »
I know Texas is big, but you are in a state with some fine knappers.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bbs383ci

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »
well ive been doing some reading and some watching and was wondering.... would it be better to start on like a slab of dark glass and learn that way,  where would you even buy slab glass for knapping.

also where can you get the copper wire that is used in the pressure flakers.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 04:12:35 pm »
put a 20p nail head down in a quart beer bottle, make shure you drink, i mean empty it first put your thumb over the hole and shake up and down , the bottom will pop right off, i useually put mine in a bag so it dont break on the concrete floor, you can get the copper ground wire at any hardware store or lowes, home depot, it's cheap so get a couple feet, then put one end in a vice and chuck the other up in a drill and twist it till it breaks loose, it will be hot dont burn your self, this hardens the copper and makes it useable for knapping, you can also find all this in video form on youtube if that is easyer for youto watch it done first, good luck, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 04:16:40 pm »
I don't think you're very far from Gus and Tower (and probably more).  I'm pretty new at knapping too, but personally I think good heated Texas flint is easier to learn on than glass, but glass works.  Dark is better than clear.  I'd go at least a quarter inch thick, thicker if you want to work on percussion...and you should.  Texas has great flint deposits if you know where to look and how to identify it.  If you're up for a road trip we're getting together way north west of you near Cross Plains, TX on April 20-21.  I guarantee if you drive up there we will send some rock home with you. Gus is coming up and I'm hoping Tower can too.

I see Bub already answered your wire question.  There also are places on the internet where you can buy tools.  I did and the purchased tools are better than the ones I made.  You can also order copper nails for your own pressure flakers off the internet too, but they're pricy.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »
I don't think you're very far from Gus and Tower (and probably more).  I'm pretty new at knapping too, but personally I think good heated Texas flint is easier to learn on than glass, but glass works.

George
yeah, we all know everything Texas is better :laugh:, I'd take George up on that offer, nothing better than in person hands on learning, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹