Author Topic: Made a Monstrosity  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Made a Monstrosity
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:03:36 am »
No pics yet but the miracle here is that I made a bow and not a walking stick.  This thing survived so many mistakes.  It deserves to be a bow.

Mistakes:1) Used spacer blocks to set some Reflex into the tips of an ELB blank during glue up.  In the oven the tips "moved".  One is recurved the other is reflexed.

2) Trying to get my ELB knocks to fit I wound up shortening the bow to 68", ditched the idea and went with those cool new nock types I see here where they are angle spliced on. 

3) Quad lam Ipe belly bow.  Went into the oven 4 noodles, came out a club. 

4) Used a split piece of bamboo backing, flooded the crack with Urac on both sides and glued it up.  Seems to have worked. 

I covered the bamboo with one of the fabric copperhead skins from Rudder Bows.  I'm not certain where I stand on these.  They look real and then they look not real.  I like the fact that they give strength to the back and are more decorative than plain fabric.  No animals actualy died and there are no issues about dealing with legality of hides.  On net I guess I like them.

5) Finished the nocks BEFORE applying the fabric skins so I don't know what to do with that junction now.

So I have a round bellied 1/2 recurve and 1/2 R/D bow.  68" long and the heaviest 52lbs I have ever felt.  I keep wanting the check the scale again.  I kinda like it and the best arrow that I shot with it was a stone point of my own making.  Nailed the target on the first shot.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Made a Monstrosity
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:34:33 am »
2) Trying to get my ELB knocks to fit I wound up shortening the bow to 68", ditched the idea and went with those cool new nock types I see here where they are angle spliced on.

Happened to me just the other day. Instead of be smart like, I just got pissed and broke the bow. LOL
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Made a Monstrosity
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:57:34 am »
I try my hardest to make them work out.  Evenif they aren't pretty or have some flaw I'll try to trade them away for something.  Besides the Ipe is pricy.

Ilike the rond bellied recurve side.