Author Topic: a few good days of shooting  (Read 13520 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
a few good days of shooting
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »
last week Jake Fenwick( agincourtwarbow) took a trip down to rhode island, so naturally we had to do some shooting, this was the first time i had shot warbows with someone else and it was a blast ;D . i also finally have some resemblance of a shooting form which with a little training on  the second day let me get to a full draw on my 140lb hickory, i admit though, i still have a LONG way to go with that bow ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6FCTavM3BI&feature=g-u-u&context=G276fa67FUAAAAAAAKAA
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Ian.

Re: a few good days of shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:40:12 pm »
Nicely done Jake, your technique reminds me of a certain EWBS member.

Noel, please get yourself a lighter bow, you are a long way off that one yet.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:56:35 pm »
i think if i was shooting with him i'd stand on the other side, seem's to be well overbowed, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:22:45 pm »
like i said i have a ways to go, but i can pull that bow to full draw only need to start working on technique more ( allot more) and get more practice in
also the reason i was leaning more to that side is i was aiming more in that direction and as far as getting a lighter bow, i have a yew im working on now hopefully to be 120lbs, but the ay i see it, if you haven't reached your limit and you aren't pushing yourself as hard as you can you will never make any reel progress

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:10:34 pm »
What a great time that was! Great shooting was indeed had and hopefully much more in the future.
 Well what I can say about Noel and his 140lb bow (which it is, let me assure everyone that I can second that claim) is that I saw a huge improvement between the two days, he a very strong chap and I think we will see him pull it fully soon enough. It may be that for the time being it is a little heavy for him, but after shooting for five of six full hours one day and on the Thursday ready as ever for another full afternoon gives me confidence that he will do it, on day two of the video it should be noted that both of our distances improved, a surprising amount. I do think that once he finishes his 120lbs, he be able to build much more of a technique and have a safer base as weights increase!

Nicely done Jake, your technique reminds me of a certain EWBS member.

Thank you very much Ian!!! It is always great to hear from a fellow EWBS member, especially one in England, there isn't much to go by across the pond. My 122lber should be here next week, hopefully my form will not be affected when pulling it! Will let you know when she arrives. Hope you are well mate,
-Jake
-For King Henry, England and Saint George!!!-

Offline Ian.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:47 pm »
You kept that quite Jake, you should set yourself a target distance to achieve with the new bow. Who is making it?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:53 pm »
Aye I guess I did, not in me mind though haha! It is another Poletti bow as I am quite happy with the distances my last one achieved, I figure that will be my last or second last bow that I buy, the rest I must make myself. A target distance eh?! Very good idea, I will have to think about, If i were to ask you the same question with a new 122lber, what would your reply be?

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:39:07 pm »
Noel i gaurantee that you can out pull me, but it's like lifting weight's, you dont start out benching 400#, you work your way up and develope good form, i dont shoot warbows but i am impressed by what you can draw, your a stout son of a gun  ;), personally i would drop down to a # that is heavy but that you can draw and keep form, shoot it every day, the #'s will go up faster than you think, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:16:37 am »
thanks jake, and one thing i must say is that what has helped me with my technique the most is actually shooting with someone who has a a good technique. if anyone has any critiques of my technique that would help, please tell me  becasue without haveing someone like jake or anyone who shoots a warbow nearby, you huys are the best way for me to improve my technique, every few weeks i am going to take a new video to show my progress with this bow ( and hopefully other bows ;) ) so anything you see that needs to be changed, other than the bow ::) , let me know.
thanks
noel

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:55:44 am »
Noel - how old are you? You need to be very careful with training when you are still growing - take that from someone who has been there done that! You NEED a bow that allows you to comfortably come to full draw. Correct technique is paramount - as soon as you start pushing weights and start to lose form that when the injuries happen, the last thing you want is to be carrying injuries for life.
Well done anyways and don't think i'm criticising you.
I must say that I think that the little jump when loosing (Jake)is not helping anything, also I don't understand if you are shooting for distance why you hold the bow at full draw for so long. A momentary pause is all thats necessary - not a hold.

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:12:13 am »
I must say that I think that the little jump when loosing (Jake)is not helping anything, also I don't understand if you are shooting for distance why you hold the bow at full draw for so long. A momentary pause is all thats necessary - not a hold.
Greetin's
Well over on this end of the lake as I have said to Ian, there is not to many others in which to ask in person and shoot with to build technique, so I have done what I can through the EWBS to build technique and adjusting it to suit myself, I have tried many different variations. Well I have never been one to talk science into why I use a certain form, I feel there is no need, I think results speak much more true. The form I have built is based after as I have said different forms in the EWBS (primarily the rolling loose) and those members shoot with distance results I have not personally seen matched. So that speaks for itself in my mind. However I have tried a more snapshot loose rigid like a target shooter, it is even scene in some of my other videos, and my distances were far inferior compared to now. As for the jump, it is not something I plan out with my mind, on release I go with the energy, I don't fight it, when the pressure is released it is natural to go forward with it, soon it becomes one smooth motion. I could not have got that quarter pounder further with a 90lb had I not used that form.

Noel I think with time technique will come but by being able to use a medium ground bow, it will greatly aid you and quicken your climb. Watch how other people do things try it out and let your distances be the judge. A huge difference can be seen in such a little time between the video you posted and my new one, good on ya mate! I look forward to the future!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:41 pm »
mikekeswick, i am a few weeks away from 18, and i am very careful while training with these kinds of things and i have leaned when my body is saying enough is enough, i have also been, and as far as needing a bow i can comfortable come to full draw with, i have to say, i look a lot more uncomfortable in the video than i really was, probably part of it was from still developing a technique and i have to agree with Jake with the jump thing, i can personally attest that when we shot that way we got better distance and on some shots it was inevitable. by the way, does anyone know of a placein the us that sells hickory boards 80+in long for backng? ( if you do pm me, please don't post the link ;) ) as that would allow me to use the nice 7ft ipe board i have waiting for a backing which would allow me another 120-130lb bow to train with
thanks
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:41:05 pm »
one thing i must add, as far as me needing a lighter bow, any donations are welcome ;D ;) ::)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:01:37 pm »
Hey Noel, if you don't get any takers on your hickory board let me know.  Almost all the sawmills down here saw hickory and pecan and I can probably request them to cut you a board you can rip up for backing strips or maybe even a backing strip directly if you give me the thickness.  Do you care about grain orientation?  The only problem we're going to have is in shipping.  You'll pay a premium for something that long, but I don't know what it will be.  I can ask at the PO next time I send something.  Have you checked sawmills up your way?  Hickory is pretty widespread.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Ian.

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:03:36 pm »
There are lots of really good backing woods, and if you are struggling to find longer boards I wouldn't worry as Ipe works better as a shorter bow. You can get the weight you want from a 72" Ipe bow.