Author Topic: ERC and Heat ??  (Read 837 times)

Offline DRon knife

ERC and Heat ??
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:30:16 pm »
I've got a question for y'all, I managed to find some Eastern Red Cedar that I plan to try and make a spliced bow from,unfortunately it is some what curved,so I'm wondering,Can ERC be straightened out with heat? I clamped the billets in an opposing position () for drying and hopefully it will reduce the amount that I will need to straighten them ??? Any thoughts will really help me decide if I'm making a bow or my special cedar smoked trout! Thanks in advance. Ron

blackhawk

Re: ERC and Heat ??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:57:41 pm »
in your case i would reduce them down far enough to steam(seal the whole billets in shellac only) and straighten them,because erc and dry heat do not go well in my humble opinion

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:43:23 pm »
I did some experimenting with that one i broke a few weeks ago since i was worried bout breakin it further..lol  i steamed a limb for an hour and induced a modest amount of reflex and it broke pretty easy.  i would say..minor...very minor corrections it would take.  the other problem i might see with "adjusting" cedar, is it might actually alter to the structural integrity of the stave.  its soooo brittle to begin with when bending it.  if it weakened it during straightening... good chance it will let go when drawn
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:57:48 pm »
If you splice the billets together butt to butt your stave will have a mild "S" shape from tip to tip. This should put the string right across the handle at brace. You can build a good shooting bow from these billets as they are without any heat correction.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:46:54 pm »
Thanks for the input!

@Pat,That was plan B.