Author Topic: Greetings, Salutations, and a Question  (Read 1600 times)

Offline jec78

Greetings, Salutations, and a Question
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:30:05 am »
Hello!

I've been lurking about the forums here for the past month or so, and finally decided that it would be much more rewarding and enjoyable to come in and say hello rather than peer through the window from outside.  ;D

I don't have much experience with primitive archery, but I'm looking to change that.  I built bows in the back yard as a kid, and of course shot toy bows and the bows at scout camp, but most of my archery experience has been with the compound bow.  And while I still love my compound bow, I really wanted to try something new, that in fact is old.  Call it a Robin Hood fantasy, call it a "fantasy" fantasy, call it getting back to basics, I really wanted to learn about, build, and use primitive bows.

The first bow I've made that has reached the finishing stage is a 72 inch English D-style longbow, red oak backed with linen.  It's pulling about 50# at 28 in.  I'm very satisfied with it up to this point, but I'm hung up on the stage I was looking forward to the most: Finishing the bow.  I've combed through tons of online articles and websites about finishing wooden bows, but I just can't seem to nail down something concrete.  I was hoping for some seasoned bowyer advice, so I don't embarrass myself. :P

Here's what I'm going for:  A black stain, the darker the better, but not so dark as to lose all the character of the wood.  A gloss finish, evoking the look of black glass.  A leather wrap handle of some sort.  No arrow rest.

For the stain, I've been looking at Minwax's water-based Express Color Wiping Stain and Finish (in onyx).  I love the color, but I don't know how it will fare with the linen backing.  Does linen backing take wood stain very well?  Does anyone have experience staining bows with linen backings?  Is there another black stain that might work better?  For the gloss finish, I really have no idea what to use.  Totally clueless!  Polycrylic, polyurethane, urethane?  Water-based?  Oil-based?  There's too many choices!  Also, i hear a lot about this, but do I need to oil the bow before staining and sealing, or will the stain and sealant take care of that?  Again, clueless.  :P

I'm really looking forward to finishing the bow, but I'm hesitant about it at the same time.  Nervous, even.  First time!  Argh!  Anyhow, thanks for listening to my rant, and for any advice you can offer to a noob!  I'm excited about being able to talk bows with everyone here!

Cheers,

James

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Greetings, Salutations, and a Question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:47:46 am »
Welcome to pa! Your story is similar to mine ...wheels to wood...the big part is making a shooter and it sounds like you have done that so congratulations!!!the dye issue is a mater of preference for the moast part rit dye, or leather dye have been done with good results ...but i would wait for someone who has done what you are seeking to answer before taking my advice on this matter
Good luck ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:08:42 am »
Welcome to PA.  8) This is a hickory bow that I made. I stained it with Fiebing's leather dye and finished it with tru-oil. I recommend both of those products. they look great, and are easy to use. Make sure you post lots of pictures and ask lots of questions. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31276.0.html

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:11:19 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:04:51 pm »
Welcome to PA.   Do check out George's site. He has years of experience encapsulated in his site with his "teachers mind" setting it up. You can't go wrong!
  If I may suggest...start out learning how to build a wood bow, how to properly tille, how to see good tiller and make a simple bow, a bent stick with limbs that bend evenly and together. Once you get that under your belt then experiment to fulfil your dream of a particular bow.
 To be successful at building wood bows you should understand compression and tension stresses and the strengths and weakness different woods that you have available to you. Each of these woods, because of their strengths and weaknesses will have a bow design that works best for its properties.
  Apparently red oak is the most readily available wood for most beginning bowyers in the US.  I would suggest a wide, flat bow with plenty of length in relation to your draw length and draw weight. An ELB style bow is not appropriate for red oak, IMO, and especially not for a beginner. I'm sure there are folks here on PA that have successfully made red oak ELBs but why stack the deck against yourself. Learn tillering, learn wood charactoristics, learn how to design a bow that uses your wood choice to achieve a successful bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC