Author Topic: Knotty Yew ELB  (Read 15328 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Re: Knotty Yew ELB
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 06:53:35 pm »
That sir is a real beauty!
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »
derek,i have to say that came out great....i have been watching it on your blog....i have a question for you..is the ELB and the war bow the same kind of bow...i was thinking that war bows are heavier in weight ....and the ELB is lighter in weight...is this right or wrong...thanks so much for sharing your creation...john

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 07:43:48 pm »
derek,i have to say that came out great....i have been watching it on your blog....i have a question for you..is the ELB and the war bow the same kind of bow...i was thinking that war bows are heavier in weight ....and the ELB is lighter in weight...is this right or wrong...thanks so much for sharing your creation...john
Thanks.
The ELBs I make are pretty much like a warbow but with a lighter and a shorter draw, I'd say 90# and over is a warbow.
Warbows generally draw around 30" or more, whereas an ELb is probably going to be 28".
Some people will say an ELB is a Victorian style with a stiffer handle, but I think there is overlap between the two styles as I tiller mine 'full compass'
There was a thread about it a while back with a variety of opinions and a whole bunch of 'overthink'.
I'm not a great believer in putting labels on things. Some archery organisations in the UK insist a 'longbow' must have horn nocks... it's all a lot of nonsense. If I handed someone one of my bows, they'd be in no doubt what it was!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 08:37:28 pm »
Well done Del!! you really get the most out of a stave  ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 09:04:36 pm »
thats pretty impressive ,to get a bow out of such a piece of yew, nice tiller too
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Gaur

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 09:12:25 pm »
Awesome looking bow Del.  I wouldn't have thought that was possible with that knot taking up so much of the limb.  I guess I will look at yew staves for sale with knots a bit differently now.  I too have put the albino buffalo tips on mine and like them.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

TurtleCreek

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 01:34:25 am »
gorgeous bow!

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 05:15:21 am »
   Beautiful craftsmanship :)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 07:43:31 am »
If anyone is going to turn yew firewood into a bow is you dell.
Lovely stuff.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:34 am »
That's some beautiful work Del and it must have been a scary one to tiller.  Way beyond my capabilities.  On another note:  I didn't know they made white waterbuffalo horn :o  I thought it was antler nocks at first glance.

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 11:14:22 am »
Oh Del... Be still my heart... That is one beautiful bow.  Sure would like to try my hand at a character yew stave.  Hats off to you!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:01 am »
That's some beautiful work Del and it must have been a scary one to tiller.  Way beyond my capabilities.  On another note:  I didn't know they made white waterbuffalo horn :o  I thought it was antler nocks at first glance.

Julian
Cheers.
The white (Albino) Waterbuffalo horn cost a bit more and is rather variable in colour (the very pale can look a bit anaemic), it gives the look of cow horn but is more consistent to work. I was told that cow horn tends to be layered and is prone to splitting.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:39 am »
Del, That is a beaut! You did that piece of yew justice. Congratulations

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 12:18:38 pm »
What do you fill those knots with?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:11 pm »
Sweetness personified Del, a real beauty. I guess you know what your doing. ;) :P
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis