Author Topic: My Center Shot Elm 45@28  (Read 4201 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Re: My Center Shot Elm 45@28
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 04:11:45 pm »
Thanks much everyone!  At first I was really nervous about taking it out into the woods but after a few minutes I realized that's where it belongs.  I'm not making bows just to look pretty on my walls after all; dem for huntin!  I am used to hiking with a walking stick though so I have to be careful not to plunge the lower limb into a hill to help me climb.  I stopped myself a few times from doing that today.   :-\   :)

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 04:44:52 pm »
That is one of the reasons I don't do the skinny little tips that some like so well !!
They won't survive the abuse to get me where i am going ! !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 05:21:03 pm »
  I really appreciate your gratitude to Blackhawk. It is a fine example of why this passion we all share is fairly unique in the selfless sharing of experience, techniuques, materials and time that we see so frequently in primitve bow making and rarely anywhere else.  Now your responsiblity will be to pass it on.
 I love the bow. Have'nt worked with elm yet but a good friend from Texas(George), recently gave me an elm stave so I know I will get the chance soon enough. Did you guys heat treat it? I have heard from Marc StLouis that elm likes the heat treat. I was  also curious why you wrapped the tips with sinew? Were you concerned they were too thin and wanted to make sure they were stiffer and not working?
Enough of the comments and questions, once again great job. Keep it up.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 05:26:55 pm »
@Buckeye Guy  haha very good point.  I came very close to plunging it into the ground a few times today.
@Sidewinder thanks, the great people surrounding this sport is reason enough to be involved.  We did heat treat it (heat gun) which helped a good bit but the top limb had some funky knots and curves to it which bent back a bit.  good luck with your elm!  It was nice wood to work with.  Careful your vice doesn't nick it up as you go!  :)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 05:28:11 pm »
@Sidewinder I wrapped the tips because I violated the back while shaping the overlays (first time).  Gave me an excuse to use the sinew I had laying around from my buck.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline MoNative

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »
Looks good! 8)
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.