Author Topic: My Center Shot Elm 45@28  (Read 4202 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
My Center Shot Elm 45@28
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:14:02 am »
The Story
I built my first bow from a hickory log on grandpa’s farm. My only instruction was a copy of “The Bent Stick” by Paul Comstock and my Irish determination. I was amazed that it didn’t break in the process but I ended up producing a 26 pound bow that shoots!
After some searching online I ran into Blackhawk who lives about an hour away. He invited me over and after hearing of my lack of wood offered me an elm stave to start working on. A few months and several lessons later that stave transformed into a hunting bow. Though Chris likely doesn’t think much of it, Blackhawk is an amazing teacher and his passion for the craft is apparent. His style of few words but tremendous impact reminds me of the many martial arts masters I’ve studies under over the years. He has effectively combined key instruction with the freedom to make some decisions and mistakes.
Of course, I have made mistakes along the way. However I feel confident in saying that any good in this bow is a direct result of Blackhawk’s instruction and any flaws are a direct result of my impatience or forgetfulness. The bow is hunt worthy and the lessons I will take with me forever. Though we may be too tough of men to say it in person I want him to know I truly appreciate all he has given me.
The bow had 2 knots in the top limb which were a first for me and gave me some grief. Good learning experiences all the way. The tiller is overly positive but it evens out a good bit at full draw.

The Stats
NtN: 65
Weight: 45 @ 28
Wood: elm
Overlays: Some cool looking wood Chris gave me. ;)
Tip wrap: Sinew from my 9pt taken in archery last year (woot!)

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: My Center Shot Elm 45@28
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:21:43 am »
Nice!!!you have hit the ground running, and turning out some nice stuff ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:55:18 am »
Sweet! Red elm sure has a beautiful contrast between the sapwood and the heartwood. Josh

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:16:37 am »
Excellent, if that's your first very well done indeed, as it's working pretty hard!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:34:10 am »
Great lookin' bow, nice work

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:54:43 am »
Great lookin bow and tiller!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 10:29:48 am »
Yup that Chris guy is pretty cool. Very nice tiller and you can expect that bow to last for a long, long time if you treat it properly. They really like prying stuck trucks out of mud holes, picking stuff out of creeks that are just too far for your arms to reach and of course snagging branches to trim from your stand! Enjoy your bow and soak up all that ex-Michigan freak will let you in on. Those tips have a Paduk look to them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 11:11:00 am »
Wow buddy that one turned out sweet..I can't wait to see it in person....
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:18:17 am »
hey those woods,trees,n creek look familiar ::)..oh yeah,thats me backyard ;D ....it turned out good rob,and will get the job done if you can do your part.

thanks for the kind remarks about me,i appreciate it..im just an average joe that likes to try to make wood bend.  8)

yes pearl you are correct about the wood type for the tip overlays  ;)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 11:34:47 am »
Great job, PAH....a fine piece of work. While I have not had the individual instruction you got from Blackhawk, those are my sentiments for all those experienced bowyers on this site who daily share their knowledge with those of us who are beginners in the great endeavor to make a fine shooting tool.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 12:57:44 pm »
Good job !!
You learn well grasshopper !!
Both you and Chris !!
Guy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:11:54 pm by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 01:11:16 pm »
great work PA. definitely need to put something in the freezer with it.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 01:32:50 pm »
Thanks much everyone!  I learnt so much with this bow I'd be pretty happy to remember 1/2 of it.   :P  Headin to the game lands now to walk my dog and shoot some stumps.  Maybe a crow too, I need some feathers for the arrows I'm working on.   ;)  ;D
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 03:03:08 pm »
Awesome bow!
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline RDK

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 03:52:13 pm »
I like!!!
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan