Author Topic: Monster tree id please  (Read 2234 times)

Offline k-hat

Monster tree id please
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »
Here we go with another tree id thread ::)
Passing by my kid's school and saw this down in the creek bed.  Not cutting down the tree mind you, but the standing tree is the same species as the HUGE log on the ground.  Think there may be some bows in there, provided those checks don't run too deep.  The log is about 80" long.

Here's a shot of the foliage up top, quite a ways off, it's a TALL sucker!  Another shot of various foliage on the ground:

Zoomed in:

From some web searching, candidates are black walnut and sassafras, best i can see, but it's tough to tell.  No sign of nuts or fruit anywhere i could see.  As good shape as that log is in for as long as it's probly been there, it seems like it oughta make good bow wood.

This is on the edge of a property, possibly on county r-o-w, I'll probly call the owner (with whom I've spoken once already) about clearing off some dead wood for him ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Monster tree id please
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:07:06 pm »
It does have that sort of Wallnutty look to the bark.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Birdman

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:16:49 pm »
Dogwood?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »
I see lots of cottonwood and burr oak leavers in that ground litter. I dont believe that tree is either of them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:50 pm »
Pearl I think you actually nailed it.  I did a search for cottonwood, and all the pics i'm seeing match with mine and what i saw out there.  The eastern cottonwood variety can apparently get quite large like this one.  Guess the jury is still out, but i'm gonna assume that's what it is for now.

Thanks for the help!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:24 pm »
Looks like arrow shaft wood  if anything, too light/weak for decent bowmaking.  That is, if it is cottonwood.

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »
The bark on the  tree you're standing next to looks like cottonwood but the upper tree pic doesn't look like cottonwood - looks more like oak.
And the leaves on the ground look like both. Wait till the leaves above leaf out completely and you'll know because oak leaves are the lacy edged one and cottonwood is the more ovoid or tear drop shape. You should be able to tell what the log is by the wood because cottonwood is soft and punky and oak is very dense and you should be able to see radial lines in the end of the log if it's oak.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:14:59 pm »
For bow making, I have always heard to avoid white woods that have been laying on the ground for a while.  It might be better to ask if you could cut a live tree.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 07:28:37 pm »
I've heard the same thing about white woods. The fungus and such set in really quickly and make the wood useless/dangerous for bowmaking. I agree with Osage Outlaw.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:31:06 pm »
For bow making, I have always heard to avoid white woods that have been laying on the ground for a while.  It might be better to ask if you could cut a live tree.

Me too. I just am a bit paranoid about bugs myself.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 07:34:58 pm »
red oak.  I see the leaves and the bark looks like it.  So does the tree size and canopy.   

Or just wait till spring and really see the leaves. 

Offline k-hat

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:13:47 pm »
Hmm, guess i was just hopeful since the log was so big there would be some untouched stuff in there.  Ah well, just hate to see perfectly good wood laying around rotting.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »
I'm voting for species of Populus, such as cottonwood. The small elderberry bushes are a good indication as well; they often grow together as they like the same habitat.

It's a pity you didn't take a picture of the end grain of the log. The wood is right there; why not take a picture or bring home a small splinter for ID?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:25 pm »
Looks just like the cottonwood we have around here. They get realy big along the river.
Steve Bennett

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 10:37:20 pm »
Cottonwood