Author Topic: Protecting snakeskin backing  (Read 6998 times)

Offline yod9

Protecting snakeskin backing
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:40:16 am »
Apologies if posted about before...  Couldn't find it.

I just bought a newly made whipsnake backed hickory bow as a gift for my father.
Overall it is very nice thought it needs to shot a bit for it to settle in.

My question to the bowyers out there would be regarding the snakeskin backing.
Upon the first couple stringings, the backing started to have scales some off.

I want to protect the ends a bit before I give it as a gift so there is no more damage to the ends.
What is the best way??

Thanks in advance!!!
Steve aka Yod9
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:09:29 pm by yod9 »

Offline Weylin

Re: Protecting snakeskin backing
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:02:56 pm »
never done a snakeskin myself but it seems like everyone removes the scales. I've heard of people using duct tape to do it. Then you want to seal the skin with whatever you're sealing the bow with.

Offline RDK

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:30:37 pm »
Confession---I think I may be one of the only people here that does not take off the scales on the bows I make and cover with snake skin.  (My only redeeming quality is perhaps that I have never used any FG products and as penance I have saved all of the bows I have broken as a reminder of my mortality---whew...).  Am I a PA sinner?  Oh forgive me....

Anyway-From your description I would guess that a varnish/poly type finish has not been applied to the backing....If you do not want to descale the backing-----I use 5-6 coats of Tru-Oil, with a light buff with fine steel wool--running in the direction of the scales- between coats-they never lift or come off.  I also make darned certain I have good adhesion--no bubbles or glue pockets under the skins..If I have any lifting I inject a small amount of glue into the pocket using a 22 ga. needle and syringe...then work the skin down and force air/excess glue out the needle hole. I  can't remember if I have ever had any scales come off--but then again my memory has been compromised by yellow dust.

I have promised on another thread to take a major step in my  spiritual awakening and descale my next snakeskin backing---I have been advised to gently rub scales off with steel wool and the stubborn ones with a finger nail....I have been practicing the technique on our nearly now hairless cat--so as not to embarrass myself when the moment of truth comes.......been up forever delivering kids--wish there was some bowyer's use for afterbirth.... I digress--why is everything I look at judged for potential archery use.....
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »
The color will explode without the scales on Ron. It makes a huge difference. Its always a good day for a dairy man when calves hit the straw, thats money in the bank!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline yod9

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies!
I think I just might tru oil the ends in particular since they would get the most abuse.
I am afraid to descale since it is a gorgeous jetblack finish.

I will keep posted.  Knowing my luck my father (who is receiving the bow), might just hang it on his wall.  Hopefully if I show up with MY bow (osage recurve, rattlesnake backing) he will pick it up and shoot with me!

Offline yod9

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:05:31 pm »
Ron,
Regarding Tru Oil...
Is the Aerosol version OK to work with?

Thanks again!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:24:30 pm »
Don't remove the scales either....I like the textured look.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 03:56:45 pm »
Calves hitting the straw may be money in the bank Pearl , But pulling calves is the worst job on earth !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 04:41:50 pm »
Is is just the scales coming off or is it the skin itself?  Could you post a picture of what you are seeing on it?

I descale my skins and use wipe on tru-oil over them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline yod9

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »
I will see if I can grab a pic.  It looks like scales, same size and flakyness.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:35:16 pm »
I've only backed one bow with skins and descaled as advised. I put about 20 coats of tru oil on that bow and the skins look beautiful.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline RDK

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 05:45:36 pm »
Yod9--I have nevr used an aerosol version of Tru-Oil..Also yes a pic.. by ends do you me the skins?

PD--Ok--OK  I'm really going to do it--chainsaw is sharp and ready...our wood lot beckons Oh and I'll need to order some skins.....

Vinemaplebows--thanks--it is good to know I have not walked the scaled skin path alone--

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline yod9

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »
Picture!

Offline RDK

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:53:24 pm »
Just a quick look and thought.

I would suggest putting a tip overlay or dyed sinew/cord/silk wrapping of some sort to protect the edge of the skin. Snakeskin is pretty darned thin and it looks like yoiu might be getting some abrashion....... Looks like those are scales rising which suggests to me that there is no finish on the backing.  If it were me I'd  make certain the skin was well attached and seated, not apply any additional stress until you protected the backing.  From the look of the scales--I'd think you could take 'em off or leave 'em..but for certain I'd get some nice finish onto the bows backing.... at the very least you'd be dressing up a very nice present for your Dad.

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »
Yikes, you need to either trim the ends of the skins or put on overlays as RDK suggests. Then the scales need to be removed and a protective finish needs to be applied over the skins. If you leave it like that it will be a mess after only moderate use.
Gordon