Author Topic: Sap wood on a Black Locust  (Read 1697 times)

Offline ssgtchad

Sap wood on a Black Locust
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:34:43 pm »
Need some help....advise. Does all the sapwood need to be removed for a BL bow. Thanks for the help!
Always learning something new.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Sap wood on a Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:24:46 pm »
Yes, if you have enough heartwood take off the sapwood. If not then get as close as you can to the heartwood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:13:12 am »
I have been wondering the same thing myself. I just acquired a really nice BL branch. What if you just decrowned the back of smaller branch (2 3/8") down to the heartwood to maintain enough width for an acceptable bow. As long as the rings are parallel and straight lines down the surface of the back (looking similar to quartersawn boards) it should be OK shouldn't it? Even though there is still some sapwood on the outside corners of the back?
Sorry Sgt. don't mean to hijack but this might (or not) apply in your case as well.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:34:10 am »
I have been wondering the same thing myself. I just acquired a really nice BL branch. What if you just decrowned the back of smaller branch (2 3/8") down to the heartwood to maintain enough width for an acceptable bow. As long as the rings are parallel and straight lines down the surface of the back (looking similar to quartersawn boards) it should be OK shouldn't it? Even though there is still some sapwood on the outside corners of the back?
Sorry Sgt. don't mean to hijack but this might (or not) apply in your case as well.

That would work just fine.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:41 am »
Yes, it would but it would be better to leave the branch a few inches longer and the back intact. Decrowning is unnecessary if the stave can be left longer. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:27:48 pm »
Having had a bad experience with BL sapwood, I would say lose it all, just my opinion.  I'm also thinking that BL likes a crowned back and a flat belly, doesn't it?  Though the sapwood on the corners of a decrowned branch might not be adding much tension compared to the heartwood in the middle.  I would still round the corners off the sapwood to avoid a splinter
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:13:46 am »
Thanks everyone, I was hoping that the sap wood was okay,.guess I got alot of draw knife work ahead of me. ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 12:24:32 am »
Depends on how much heartwood you have. Do you have enough to make a bow? Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:31:03 am »
I don't think so sir, plus there was some short of borrowing critter are down the entire length in the heart. The stave is about 74” and nice and straight.