Author Topic: Rawhide for arrow pass material?  (Read 9033 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Rawhide for arrow pass material?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 06:18:19 pm »
Osage, I (think) I know the spiner your talking about, I bookmarked the page with the print out dial a while ago, but I never got my head around how to put it all together. Also, my feathers seems to hold up fine, but my whippings do sometimes get beat up and the glue on the whipping will crack sometimes if I don't use an arrow pass. When they do get beat up is when I miss by a mile and drag the fletchings right across a bunch of gravel and stuff,  :laugh:.

Del, I actually don't use shelves anymore. The string alignment seems to be good on the bows I am currently using. Alot of the time, because I have had problems with string alignment in the past, I will wait until I am finished tillering a bow to finish the handle, and suit the handles angle to where the string wants to lay. I have to do this sometimes, especially when the stave is overly reflexed to begin with and I can't get too much of a accurate centerline. I'm had some good reflexed bows turn out ridiculous looking with the limbs twisting because of string alignment, so it probably ain't helping too much,  :laugh:.

Jude, hit me up on the trade blanket when you wanna trade some tiger skins for some osage.

Arrows,arrows,arrows are the problem.
Fix the problem not the symptoms!

I guess sometimes I am like a cat with a urinary infection, where it pees all over the house in different places, because it thinks that is if pees in a different place it will not hurt, when it fact it just has a urinary infection.

Hey, 2many. I have used several different materials, but prefer velcro when I am not "going primitive". Then I generally use the same leather I use for my handle. I haven't really had too much trouble wearing them out, though.

FYI- I was given a right handed recurve when I was a teenager. I am right handed, but left eye dominant so I have always shot guns and bows in a left handed stance. So, similar to you, I shot a right handed bow left handed. I took an archery class in college and gave my archery instructor fits, but she couldn't argue with success. I shot really well. When I took the plunge to buy a longbow, the bowyer encouraged me to try to shoot correctly. (a left handed bow for a left handed shooter). I was amazed at how quickly I made the switch. By the end of the day I was shooting extremely well. The good part about it, is it solves other problems you don't think about till they are gone. I won't go into them, now, but I highly recommend trying it. I never went back.

It does seem so unnatural to me to shoot that way, I almost can't imagine how people can stand to shoot that way! LOL I'll try to shoot the right way sometime today, try to get a hang of it.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 06:42:52 pm »
Mine doesn't use a dial.  I tried to find the youtube video that I made mine from, but the guy deleted it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 08:31:12 pm »
you can make a spine tester by putting two nails 28" apart, and hang two pounds of weight from the arrow, use one that you know the spine of like a carbon or something, and mark the deflection, it get's them really close, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »
Mine doesn't use a dial.  I tried to find the youtube video that I made mine from, but the guy deleted it.

Sweet, Ill go looking for it right now...

you can make a spine tester by putting two nails 28" apart, and hang two pounds of weight from the arrow, use one that you know the spine of like a carbon or something, and mark the deflection, it get's them really close, Bub

Sweet again, never knew that.  :laugh:
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 11:45:56 pm »
Here are some pictures of mine.  After I put the arrow in it, I adjust the ruler on the magnet until it is on 1".  Then hang the weight from it and check the ruler.  It works by measuring the deflection in 32nds of an inch.  There is a conversion, but I forgot the math.  I worked it all out and hung the paper by it.  It is simple but seems to work fine.  The video really did a good job of explaining it.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 12:31:57 am »
An arrow that is properly spined for you and your bow should not touch the bow once released. Archers paradox bends the arrow around the bow on its way to the target.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 12:52:56 am »
Too noisy. I use leather. After gluing it on I'll glue up the outside too. Superglue works well. Never had a problem. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 03:45:57 am »
I love that spine tester.  There will be one like it in my shop shortly.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw