Author Topic: New Flint - 1st point  (Read 2511 times)

Offline gstoneberg

New Flint - 1st point
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:12:21 am »
I finally received my box of alibates flint.  This stuff is really pretty.

I hope I can get some of that blue in a point.  Does this need to be heat treated?

George
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:20:06 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: New Flint
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:25:09 am »
Way pretty. Hows it flake ?  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:25:30 am »
Yes Sir George!

That is Pretty.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:29:28 am »
Way pretty. Hows it flake ?  '  Frank

I don't know yet Frank.  I just opened the box and won't get a whack at it until tomorrow.  I'll let you know.   If it flakes well I'm gonna be making a long drive to west Texas to get some more at some point.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:01:20 am »
Is that the stuff that was quarried up north of Amarillo?  I can't remember where the quarry was exactly, but somewhere around there.  Josh

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:47:04 am »
It came from near Amarillo, but exactly where I don't know.  I hope to get over there in person and get some as soon as I can swing it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:33:09 am »
Hey George: El D mailed me a box awhile back and for the most part a little heat really helps a lot. i did however stumble across one chunk in there that was all nice and slick raw if in fact it was raw, hmm ::). Anyway always cool looking rock. It cooks the same as most tx - 400 to 500 aught to do it..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:56:43 am »
OK thanks Paul.  Wonder if heat will change the colors at all?  Speaking of El D, has anybody heard from him lately?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:23:15 am »
Wow George. Can't wait to see points from that rock!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:33:12 am »
It came from near Amarillo, but exactly where I don't know.  I hope to get over there in person and get some as soon as I can swing it.

George

I looked at my panhandle map after I posted that.  The place I was thinking of is the Alibates flint quarry national monument.  Its along the Canadian ,West of Fritch .  I've seen the signs to it many times, but I was always in the semi and couldn't stop. Thanks for posting this .  I've often wondered what that material looked like.  Josh

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 12:25:16 pm »
I went to Alibates a year ago. You have to schedule a time to see it. Its a sight to see. Bi faces, hammer stones, some of the most colorful flint I've ever seen. Those park rangers watch you like a hawk . Its an amazing walk through hell. Look & touch but you can't take any.  There are other small deposits on priviet land. It sure is some purddy rock. Can't wait to see what ya make w/it.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »
I had some alabates a while back. Purdy stuff but mean  >:D I gave a piece to Shannon and he bled like a stuck pig :) cant wait to see what you make of it :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:19:42 am »
Wow, this stuff is hard!  I had to use a ball peen hammer to get a couple spalls.  It needs heat bad.  One of the rocks is red, a little darker than a brick with white strips through it.  I could not get flakes to run far enough to thin it so I stopped before I ruined it.  I'll heat it and try some  more.  One of the largest chunks  has strong layering and lots of fissures.  It spalled right along a layer.  It was like knapping a slab.  It would have made a nice big point if it wouldn't have fractured so many times.  I ended up with a small point.  When I went to side notch it the first side went fine.  The second side crumbled when I hit it with the notcher.  I had to enlarge the notch a lot to clean it up and then worked to get the other one close to it.  I won't do any more raw rock, but at least you can see a little of the color in this particular nodule.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: New Flint - 1st point
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 01:36:14 am »
Yes Sir George!

I like the looks of it.
Be interested to see how it behaves after you heat treat it.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: New Flint - 1st point
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 01:40:30 am »
Nice point there. Love that color.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.