Author Topic: one hour arrow  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Josh B

one hour arrow
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:27:25 am »
I made this phragmites arrow in just under an hour today, while simultaneously teaching a fourteen year old how to make an eastern woodland style board bow. I wish they were that easy to make when they are for me.  Its just a phragmites shaft, cheap dowel foreshaft with a fire hardened practice point, wild turkey secondary feathers all tied together with art. Sinew and hide glue. Nothing special really, just never made one in that little amount of time before.  Josh

Offline rmcpb

Re: one hour arrow
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:41:45 am »
That's impressive. Are the fletches two feathers with the back bit double sided?
Cheers
Rob.

Blue Mountains, NSW.

Its OK to make a mistake. Just try not to make the same one twice...........

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:55:23 am »
Nice arrow there Josh ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:08 am »
Dang Josh, that's very nice...it just might suprise you about how good a fire hardened point really is. Shot one thru a 1/2" pressure treated plywood and didn't hardly hurt the point at all.....very nicely done, sir.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:44:53 am »
Thats cool Josh. Im just starting to dip deeper into primitive arrows and am enjoying myself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:57:02 am »
well done josh
sure like them 2 fletch
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:45:19 am »
That's impressive. Are the fletches two feathers with the back bit double sided?

Yes, that's what it is.  By far my favorite fletch style. For me, it's the quickest and easiest. 

Thanks Cip!

Thanks Rich,  that is what I use on my atlatl practice darts.  Sadie witness first hand that their durability stops rather abruptly at brick walls!  :-[ ;D

Thanks Sadie and Pearly,  Josh

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »
Nice looking fletching, I like a two fletch too.  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:05:35 am »
Nice arrow Josh. The simple Eastern Woodland 2 fletch is quite effective. Most "other" archers couldn't imagine it even flying.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 03:19:05 am »
Thanks fellas.  Yah I hear you Pat.  My daughter is shooting an ERC selfbow for 4H this year and I made her some arrows similar to this one.  I love watching the parents gape , the instructor shake his head, and the boys blush with embarrassment when my girls outshoot them with primitive equipment!  I hate to admit it but they usually outshoot me as well.  It went from parents thinking that I was unduly handicapping my kids to the point that some parents are now complaining about the unfair advantage that some kids have with their custom equipment.  Sorry about the little tangent there.  Back to the point, two fletches work great! Thanks, Josh