Author Topic: African Mahogany  (Read 2479 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
African Mahogany
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:59:21 pm »
I had a trim carpenter give me a slat of african mahogany the other day. I looked it up and it has a specific gravity of .57 when dry. Anybody know about the other characteristics such as tension, compression, and elasticity?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline bubby

Re: African Mahogany
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:06:59 pm »
all the mahogany that i've tryed was brittle, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:06:08 pm »
Even for belly wood if backed with hickory, Bub?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:11:55 pm »
Backing a wood doesn't make it less brittle... It might prevent the back from giving up, but the belly could still collapse.

"Mahogany" (either Sapeli, Sipo, genuine mahogany or African mahogany) is one of those woods that just don't like to be bent. How many bows have you seen of any of these species? I recall none. Weird, since the wood is very common as lumber. This says something to me... The wood just doesn't like bending. A hickory backing will probably overpower the mahogany very easily. If you need to use mahogany, I'd use a thin, lighter backing such as Ash, or maple. Trap the backing and keep the belly flat. Fades at least 2" wide, with an overall bowlength longer than otherwise needed.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:56:56 pm »
Even for belly wood if backed with hickory, Bub?

in my experiance, yeah, had two blow very early in tillering, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:37:41 pm »
Thanks again for the feedback, ya'll. I guess I'll have more wood for handles.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:33:37 am »
Glad to see this thread in time!  I have 3 beautifully ribbonned African mahogany2 x 2's on my bench.  I was just waiting for my bamboo to show up to start gluing them up.  Thanks for the info !  Josh

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:25:40 am »
If you try it, Josh, be sure and let me know the results!!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 01:32:09 pm »
mahogany is one of my favorite woods appearance-wise.  I myself have a hickory bow in the works that's gonna have a mahogany riser and handle overlay on the back, as well as mahogany tips.  The hick has a lot of heartwood coloration, so i think the mahogany is gonna look awesome!  All that is to say this . . . i think you have plenty of beautiful riser and accent wood there les, make the most of it ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »
I don't believe I will be trying it. I don't hesitate to experiment with materials that I have easy access to.  Bamboo is not one of those materials for me. In this type of situation, I always defer to the experience of those who have tried it.  If Bubby says its a no go, I will heed that advice.  Josh