Author Topic: Interesting observation  (Read 3814 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Interesting observation
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 07:30:51 pm »
Interesting observation. I spent 13 years doing whitetail research throughout the Midwest and east coast and have noticed similar situations. It is a combination of day length and the response of the pituitary and then the drop in testosterone levels. I have collected whitetails as early as mid October that have cast their antlers while others collected in late April still had one or both antlers. Most of the bucks were 3 years old or younger. One common link is some of the April examples was damage to the scrotum and testicles by whatever means. This definitely interferes with testosterone levels and might be contributing to bucks retaining their antlers longer. With that said, I have to wonder if there is another variable involved such as population dynamics and sex ratios in a given area and weather. I'm sure there is someone doing some graduate research out there that has published their findings in. A professional journal that might be of some assistance.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Interesting observation
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 11:25:31 pm »
We have seen this a lot this year ,and have before !
Any time we don't get a good hard rutt season we end up with fawns in the fall instead of just in the spring !
damaged bucks generally keep antlers in velvet for the most part!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !