Author Topic: Made my first String  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Marks

Made my first String
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »
I've been intimidated by this for a while but I finally manned up and built my first string last night after some youtube research. I bought some fastflight about 2 weeks ago a it has just been sitting aroud. It was not as hard as I thought. I made a few mistakes but I think it turned out well but a little short of what I think I'll need. My bow is still not ready for full brace yet so we shall see later. I don't know what final weight I'm shooting for yet (probly 40-45#) or really even my draw length (29" on compound with release). Being my first bow I'm going to tiller till it feels right. My bow is osage and 65" ntn.  For my string I used 8 strands per bundle so that means is a 16 strand string right? This should be plenty of string for that weight range too correct?

Offline KHalverson

Re: Made my first String
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:30:46 pm »
8 strands per bundle -- 16 strand string
you could easily drop to 12 or even 10 strand for a bow of that weight and still have more than enough strength

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:02:18 pm »
Dropping to a total of 10 strands from 16 would reduce your string weight markedly and have a measurable improvement on arrow cast, as well. 

Yup, it's not rocket surgery making bowstrings!  Atta boy.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:54:24 pm »
just built my first ff string as per pearlie, 4 strands per bundle, two bundles and two pcs of b-50 8" long in the ends of each bundle to pad the loops, shot great on a 57# bow, had to double serve it though, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:58:57 pm »
Same as bubby, 8 strands for most of mine with the loop and knot built up.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.