Author Topic: Unique opportunity  (Read 1724 times)

Offline sleek

Unique opportunity
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:45:21 pm »
So I am in college taking a computer class. They want us to do a power point presentation on any topic of our choosing. The decision was obvious. I get 10 to 12 slides for this presentation. If ya'll were to be given this opportunity, how would you use it? Would you do a build along on how to make a bow, show the different types of bows and their cultural history, or something else? I want to use this as a way to get archery in folks minds. Any help?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline paulsemp

Re: Unique opportunity
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:53:21 pm »
I would do only a small part on building. Focus more on the importance the bow played in the world. When I tell people that sticks and strings RAN the world for thousands of years they have a hard time understanding it. By telling them how powerful of a weapon it is, that generates more interest in how they are made from such simple materials. Some people think that guns have always been here.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:44 pm »
Yea, I assume since it's a computer class you're gonna be graded on your use of the presentation tool.  Almost any topic around archery will work.  My daughter did her science project one year on the physics around arrow flight.  We fletched the point end of an arrow instead of the nock end and video taped it as it turned around in the air and stuck nock first in the target.  I've been corresponding with Rich (Half Eye) on native american tribes in the Dallas area and there is some fascinating stuff out there if American history trips your trigger.  Every time I think about knapping a new flint point style I'm flabbergasted at the variety of points that were made.  Having said all that, I think Paul's advice is very good and will suit you well.   Good luck. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Survivecrunch

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:09:25 pm »
I would agree that a small part or generalized outline on bow building. (that's what i talk about when I have miliarty Professional development in our morning meetings)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »
I'd keep the info on building very brief and just try to give an overview of the wide variety of different bows from different cultures and what a bow can do.
Emphasise the simplicity of the device yet it's world changing impact... imagine being the first man to harness stick and string.
Whatever you do, put it in terms that people can relate to.
Like quoting speed in mph not fps.
I find that people can appreciate the power when I say even my small flat bow could shoot an arrow through a car door. Cover the broad spectrum from a native American driving an arrow through a Bison from the back of a horse to an English bowman drawing about 170# and shooting through French armour.
Ask 'em how far they think a Turkish flighbow from the 17th century could shoot (about half a mile!).
Some of the stories recounted in a previous thread about a hand gun shot at a bucket of sand which stops the bullet vs an arrow which penetrates are good too.
I like to point out that although it's a very simple device the maths and physics of it is rather complex. Tell 'em there is one more device which is also lethal, but even simpler, and has only one single part yet is extremely difficult to analyse but is made by so called primitive man.... see if they can guess what it is.
Del
(Oh yeah, at the end you let 'em off the hook and tell 'em it's a boomerang!)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.