Author Topic: whats your trout recipe?  (Read 4288 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

whats your trout recipe?
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:25:01 am »
What's y'alls recipe for cooking trout? After I catch some of the freshest trout in the world I gut them but otherwise leave them whole an then I stuff them with fresh homegrown parsley and slices of lemon with crushed black pepper then I throw them on the grill. I only use wood in my grill I think it gives the fish a unique smokey flavor that can't be achieved with gas or charcoal.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Kpete

Re: whats your trout recipe?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:45:05 am »
I like to rub the skin with butter and then garlic or garlic salt and broil on grill or in oven.
Also, I they are over 18 inches I rub the with butter then stuff them with stuffing made by
adding a pinch of majoram and a 1/2 cup of chopped green onions to dry bread cubes or crumbs
then moisten with some dry white wine.  Back at 350 or so 25 minutes or until done. :)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:49:30 am »
I mix flour salt and pepper and roll the trout in it then fry it in a little bit of butter.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:53:03 am »
why cook them,give it to us  raw and wriggling( if anyone gets that reference ill be impressed)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:17 am »
2 cups soy sauce
2 cups pineapple sauce
2 Tbsp finely minced ginger
4 cloves garlic crushed
1Tbsp coarse black pepper
A dozen trout, gutted

Marinate overnite and smoke.  Peel and eat.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:58:24 am »
why cook them,give it to us  raw and wriggling( if anyone gets that reference ill be impressed)
Do you have huge hairy feet? LOL
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:58:59 am »
fish finder,is that from lord of the rings?anyhow the only way i like trout is to smoke them with garlic and butter on my wood grill.other than that,i cut them up and use them for bait for blue and channal cats.can't beat them for bait.we just have put and take rainbows here.only nine to thirteen inches.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:01:08 am »
3 Nine inch trout, gutted
Salt and pepper inside cavity to taste
Oil to rub the skins

Grill until ALMOST DONE!  Cool, peel skin, pick flesh from bones and reserve.

5 slices whole wheat bread, shredded fine
1/2 cup mayo
2 eggs beaten
1 heaping teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

Add the above to the flaked fish flesh, mix lightly with a fork.  Form into patties and panfry in a black iron skillet until lightly browned.  Serve with tartar sauce, lemon wedges, cold beer.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 01:04:13 am »
Gut 'em, push a green stick down their gullet and alongside the backbone.
Hang it over the fire. 
Watch like a hawk because in the first place it falls off the stick just about the time it is done, and secondly, Mikey (buddy of mine) is liable to be lurking and will shamelessly steal your trout.  He'll blame his daughter, but it's him.   

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:33:13 am »
Everyone's recipes sound great ill definitely have to give some of them a try. I just caught an 18 inch, 19 inch, and a 19.5 inch so ill definitely be eating good tomorrow.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 02:33:34 am »
There are so many ways to cook trout.  But I like them on the camp fire best.  Gutted and cleaned,  A little olive oil inside and out, and salt and pepper.  If I'm feeling fancy put some fir or pine needles in the cavity while they cook, gives a delicious lemony flavor.  Do em on a hock rock next to the fire, or spread on a stick back off the flames so they cook slow with lots of smoke.  Hmmm you're making me hungry, and I want to get out the old fly rod. 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:59:30 pm »
Get yourself some cedar shingles, soak a shingle in water for awhile then put prepared trout on shingle over grill/flame.  Works nicely.
My favorite is with in season cherries and toasted pecans and butternut squash risotto.  OH YEAH!
1’—>1’

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 02:54:57 pm »
used to use soy sauce, garlic and mayonnaise. Now usually just salt and pepper over wood fire.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »

Good One Fish... or should I call you Golem?  :)

Even though I do eat Bait (Sushi for the folks in Rio Linda), I like to Butterfly a Freshwater Trout and Grill it skin side down with any assortment of Butter and seasoning
or an assortment of Hot Sauces with seasoning. Grilled over a mixed Pecan and Mesquite Fire.

As for Saltwater Trout (Specks) I like to fillet and cut 'em up into Fingers, dredge it in seasoned cornmeal.
Before Deep Frying I like to season the Grease with San Marcus Jalapenos, cut in half and field stripped.
Throw the Pepper halves into the Grease while you are prepping the fish and fry the peppers BLACK.
Remove the peppers before you fry the fish and eat them as completely decadent horderves.
The fish will come out with a Hint of Pepper Goodness.

If that ain't hot enough for you, try Marinading the fish fingers in a mixture of the San Marcus pepper juice and Louisiana Red Hot Sauce.
Then add LIBERAL amounts of Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning to the cornmeal.
Then Deep Fry as usual.

Note: Wear Gloves when handling the fish around the Marinade and spicy cornmeal mix.
And watch the Spicy Cornmeal Mix, the dust is Killer, in a bad way, on the nose and lungs...  :)

Secret Note: for Super Crisp Fried Goods, Drain on News Paper or Brown Paper Bags.
This includes French Fries or Any other fried goods.

Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Kpete

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 07:34:31 pm »
Bold Fishfinder,
Stop by and I'll accomodate you with some fresh and wiggling trout.  Then I'll just sit back and watch the show!